Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal people breeding ‼SCIENCE‼  (Read 3151 times)

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal people breeding ‼SCIENCE‼
« on: May 14, 2017, 12:06:43 pm »

I was always interested in breeding animal people in fortress mode, and i saw some ‼SCIENCE‼ done in this regard, but in my opinion there is not enough science (like we could ever have enough). So, i decided to set up my own experiment. To get animal people to my fort I could use couple of methods:

1) Taverns and other attractions, and waiting for citizenship petition;
         2) Adventurers;
         3) Probably some DFHack cheats that i'm unaware of.

Hoping that world generator will create enough friendly animal people, they would visit my fort, apply for citizenship and not just once, but at least two animal man of the same race, of opposite gender, not already married, with age difference less than 10 years and willing to marry is just too unreliable. So first method is off the table, at least for now.

With adventurers there is another problem, they never breed. I've searched for information why exactly they can't reproduce and some say that's because retired adventurers are asexual/not interested in neither gender, and some say that the reason is their lack of preferences. First i can fix, second can't. I'm hoping that making them interested in opposite gender will make them breed.

Version I'm going to use is 0.43.03 with DFHack, also i'm going to use DFTool

First, I created world (nothing special about it), than checked if I can create animal man adventurer for dwarven civ. I decided to go with leopard people, they could be spawned from The Paint of Brushing civ, I also going to create couple of jumping spiders they are also available for this civ.

Using DFTool I limited number of my first dwarfs to 2 and choose location for future fortress
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I spend whole spring, doing some preparations, also gathering seed for above ground farming (leopard people shouldn't live underground) and retired. Now it's time for adventurers.

First i brought two Hero Spidermen of opposite gender.

All of my adventurers are from this specific fort, they also value family, friendship, easily fall in love and lustful. After spiders i brought my leopard tribe. 5 males and 5 females, all Peasants with some skills.

Two weeks of waiting for every "migrant" means that it is winter now (and no source of water or booze, well should've chose Warm region)

Let's check leopards orientation!

As expected all except two initial dwarfs are asexual. We, humans, fortunately, do not practice orientation change "therapy" anymore, but that's "Dwarven Therapy", so that's fiiiiine.

Using DFTool made everybody interested in marrying opposite gender.

So far, so good. Now it's time for some forced lovemaking.

If anybody have more information about adventurers breeding post it. I suspect that this wouldn't work, but I still going to play this fort and keep you updated. Also what is the fastest way to get some water/drinks? I could just dig into the caverns, but i would rather not. Maybe i have enough time for farming/brewing?
EDIT: nevermind, stock screen show whole bunch of plumphelmets, should be enough befor i set up proper food industry.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 12:14:21 pm by Nolimit »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal people breeding ‼SCIENCE‼
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 01:19:55 pm »

Adventurers have an Indeterminate orientation, i.e. the first flag in the preferences structure is set. Presumably you could fix that by setting the first one to false and the appropriate (i.e. opposite gender for procreation) marry one to true, the latter of which appears to have been done already. The tool you use doesn't seem to provide access to the adventurer flag, so you should probably use DFHack's gui/gm-editor on each unit.
There's a DFHack tool to hack marriage info if you're desperate. I've never used it, so I can't tell if it works.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 09:08:59 am »

Adventurer breeding works perfectly fine, you just have to make them not asexual somehow. I retired 2 adventurers at my fort, made them sexual and got them married with DFhack, soon afterwards they started making babies. The only thing I haven't tested is whether they can marry by themselves but I see no reason why they wouldn't.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 10:13:47 am »

There is a dfhack means of straight up creating animal people that are friendly, and become residents. They will petition to be citizens almost immediately.

I am actually in the process of attempting a complex fortress like this at the moment in fact-- using DFHack to generate animal people I feel are appropriate for specific labor types, just for the novelty amusement. (Currently Great Horned Owl people working the library, but contemplating creating Bear People and Tiger People for military purposes, leaving dwarves to do all the craftwork.)

I can easily work this into being another data source for animal people in fortress mode breeding experiment science.