Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hearthlands - Fantasy city building  (Read 8940 times)

Sergio

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hearthlands developer
    • View Profile
    • Hearthlands
Re: Hearthlands - Fantasy city building
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 05:17:48 pm »

Hey, guys, I’m actually the developer of this game:)

Is it playable?
Yes, there’s a video of me playing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8auf_A-W1I
It’s not available for download yet, though. We plan to release a public version with first four points from the feature list implemented as soon as we finish all the sprites and sounds (probably in August).

I'm getting pretty tired of games announcing their features years before actually implementing them. I want to actually get surprised by new games, and not in the bad way, too :(
Well, in the video above you can see what we had a few weeks ago (and it took about a month to implement that), so I believe Hearthlands is not just another game, which developers forgot to actually make while talking about their huge plans.

Indie game development is the only job we’ve got (for the last 4 years), so it would be unreasonable for us, to start making game without being sure that we’re going to finish it:)

Basically a Pharaoh clone.
Not strictly true.
In Pharaoh city-building was the whole game, basically. In Hearthlands we just use the basics, because we don’t limit player’s options to city management, so it shouldn’t be that time consuming and complicated as it was in Pharaoh/Ceasar/Zeus, and player will have more time to deal with other stuff.

We have only two types of “walkers” – peddlers and tax collectors, so your economy will not collapse because you haven’t notice the misplaced road:)

In the city-building part of the game we tried to shift player’s attention from roads/services/planning to resources/production/distribution, so it’s more like Settlers in that case (which as well as Pharaoh is not a very good analogy).

But I'm getting completely sick of barely playable "pre-early-alpha", "super-early-prototype missing even basic graphic items" and so on
Me too. That’s why we’re not releasing it yet.

This is probably wrong actually, because people seem to release bare bones and get a decent attention from the very beginning. Probably I’m too old myself, because I want some solid gameplay to be there in the first public version.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 05:22:08 pm »

PTW
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 05:54:47 pm »

Sounds interesting. Let us know when you get to the point where we can demo it!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sergio

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hearthlands developer
    • View Profile
    • Hearthlands
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 05:57:57 pm »

Sounds interesting. Let us know when you get to the point where we can demo it!
Thanks! Sure, I'll post here when we'll make it available for download.

Sergio

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hearthlands developer
    • View Profile
    • Hearthlands
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 06:23:37 am »

After reading this post once again I realized that we actually don't need roadblocks and walkers. Roadblocks/walkers is an interesting concept but 1) it is kind of outdated, 2) it works well only in city planning oriented games (like Pharaoh), 3) it is difficult to explain to non-experienced players, 4) we have only two characters which use this behavior, 5) and yes, it makes the game look a bit like a Pharaoh clone (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Peddlers and tax collectors can use the same mechanics as resource haulers - just target a specified building (where they are most needed at the moment) and go there using shortest path. We have a decent pathfinding algorithm, so it shouldn't slow things down. This will make the game a bit easier and more convenient - which is what we're looking for.

So, thanks for an inspiration, I guess :)

christonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Play Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 02:46:53 pm »

great game lots done and working in this alpha. check out my indie showcase bellow and comment back what you might want changed or added

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaq7Turk3MU

also alot of great new screens on website showing world map etc

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 04:08:10 pm »

I don't know about you, but that art style makes me nauseous.
This a thousand times. It has that "shitty Skinner Box mobile game" vibe. You know the type of game.

No offense intended, it's just... It looks that way. It's hard to explain.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:09:57 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 04:50:33 am »

The concept seems interesting, can't wait to have something solid to test!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 08:29:03 am »

I don't know about you, but that art style makes me nauseous.
This a thousand times. It has that "shitty Skinner Box mobile game" vibe. You know the type of game.

No offense intended, it's just... It looks that way. It's hard to explain.
I get your complaint. It looks like its a Facebook game sorta...
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 08:31:34 am »

PTW

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username