Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Introducing the Megapile: A Compact, non-Quantum 2.5-3x Storage Option  (Read 1788 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: OP (click to show/hide)

Thanks to Anewaname for helping me refine this option. Well, he refined my original idea. And my original idea was for a place to store a strategic reserve of a material, not necessarily a place for every-day use. Though with these results.....For example, if you're running out of wood, stone, blocks, etc--or they're clogging up your stockpiles. This option works for logs, stone, and bars/blocks (according to the wiki, bins hold 5 blocks to a bin, so this would be ultra-storage for them).

The basic premise is to find/hollow out/temporarily remove !!Fun!! from a 32x32 area, and ([ b ]-[C]-) [f]loor the entire space with your chosen material (blocks, bars, wood, or stone). Next, in the middle of the square, build a 31x31 stockpile, and designate it for the material you have chosen. Around the perimeter of the stockpile, build one Minecart track stop per tile (same material as the stockpile and the floor), and get a minecart on it, and have each one fill from the stockpile.

And there you are. You now have a massive reserve of a given material.

How massive? Well, let's remember that a standard 31x31 is the largest stockpile you can make (961 squares) But assuming you COULD make a 32x32, it would fit 1,024 logs, stones, or 5,120 bars/blocks (according to the wiki bins take 5 bars or blocks apiece).

Stone Megapile Capacity: 2,588 (5 Stones per Minecart). 1,564 easily accessible.
Wood Megapile Capacity: 3,328 (10 Logs per Minecart). 2,034 easily accessible.
Bars/Blocks Capacity: 16,581 (83 Bars/Blocks per Minecart). 15,557 easily accessible.

So generally anywhere from a 150% to 300% storage capacity, depending on what you are storing.

Again, thank you anewaname for taking this up a notch and turning it into something more than just a 2x storage capacity option, with the suggestion of Minecarts/stops.

Of course, this could be turned up even MORE by cutting hole in the stockpile every other square and placing minecarts in the holes.

XmXmXmXmX
mXmXmXmXm
XmxmXmXmX

X=stockpile, m=Minecart. I doubt I'd ever be that anal dorfish about it, though. Even if it would basically optimise storage completely (by my quick head estimates it would store ~4500 more logs (~6500 total) and 2250 more stone (~3700 total) and ~40,000 more bars/blocks (~55k total))

Why not a Quantum Stockpile? Eh, it feels a bit cheaty to me.

Besides. Why have a dinky little 1x1 when you can do it bigger and more resource-intensive.

Of course, you could turn it up a notch by introducing water to push the stockpile out, so logs/stones/bins??? pile up on top of each other, forbid the logs/stones that are piled on top of each other, turn the water off, let the dorfs restock the now-empty spaces in the stockpile. Then, assuming no other stockpiles are going to steal the overflown logs/stones, unforbid the entire stockpile.

.....repeat?

.......could you weaponise this with high-pressure water smacking stockpiles into invaders' faces?

Or, oooh.....

an omni-directional Minecart Shotgun shotgun, with a giant stockpile at hand to refill the Minecart Shotguns.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 12:44:02 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Quantum Stockpile compact Storage
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 06:27:36 am »

:o Floors... I never, ever thought about that.  That's a brilliant way to store stone and wood and blocks.  A bit micro and also a bit inefficient, but great for making small fortresses.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 06:40:48 am »

I built a non-QS system for storing wood when I only had trees in one corner of my embark and wanted to limit dwarven wood-gathering to short bursts of activity.
- A side gate was built on the surface (a roofed 3x3 tower with a raised bridge as a door, and stairs down).
- The staircase went down a couple of zs (to avoid the "cut down trees and leave holes in the roof" issue), and opened into 3 z's of 20x20 rooms. Each room had a wood stockpile set to "take from links only". Each of these stockpiles was set to give to the fort's wood stockpile and that stockpile was set to "take from links only".
- There was a tunnel leading back to the main fort for the hauling to the main fort.

Once that was built,
- the main fort's gate was closed (sealing my dwarves in)
- the side gate was opened (giving them only one way to the surface)
- the wood stockpiles were set to take from anywhere
- many trees were designated for cutting.

As trees fell, large numbers of dwarfs headed up through the side gate to collect the wood and bring it down to the wood stockpiles. When it was time to stop the collection, the stockpiles were set back to "take from links only", the side gate was closed, and main gate reopened.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 06:44:43 am »

Flooring is a lot better than roads for storage since it uses one block per tile, as opposed to roads, which are using materials more efficiently (you CAN make single tile roads, but that makes no sense in any way I can think of, except possibly architect training).

I've actually used walls and floors as emergency storage of wood early in fortresses when I've wanted to get building material for aquifer piercing safely indoors in case of surface access denial (necro siege, or possibly reanimated undead). I've also scavenged workshops built out of wood as an emergency source when under siege and a mooding dorf suddenly wants wood.

I once tried to use built wooden walls as a source of wood on a reclaimed fortress with no trees on the embark, only to find they'd used wooden blocks...

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 08:46:50 am »

A more space-efficient but still non-QSP method could be the use of stationary minecarts. One log for a constructed floor, one log for a constructed track stop, and a minecart full of logs parked on top of that. A largish feeder stockpile to load the minecarts from would even semi-automate loading. Admittedly, you'd have to set up one route/stop/minecart per tile, and you'd actually be doing all of the setup for a minecart-based QSP except for the dumping, but eh.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 09:35:28 am »

I built a non-QS system for storing wood when I only had trees in one corner of my embark and wanted to limit dwarven wood-gathering to short bursts of activity.
- A side gate was built on the surface (a roofed 3x3 tower with a raised bridge as a door, and stairs down).
- The staircase went down a couple of zs (to avoid the "cut down trees and leave holes in the roof" issue), and opened into 3 z's of 20x20 rooms. Each room had a wood stockpile set to "take from links only". Each of these stockpiles was set to give to the fort's wood stockpile and that stockpile was set to "take from links only".
- There was a tunnel leading back to the main fort for the hauling to the main fort.

Once that was built,
- the main fort's gate was closed (sealing my dwarves in)
- the side gate was opened (giving them only one way to the surface)
- the wood stockpiles were set to take from anywhere
- many trees were designated for cutting.

As trees fell, large numbers of dwarfs headed up through the side gate to collect the wood and bring it down to the wood stockpiles. When it was time to stop the collection, the stockpiles were set back to "take from links only", the side gate was closed, and main gate reopened.

Thing is, if you were to do it one at a time, and floor the 20x20s with wood FIRST, THEN put the wood stockpiles in place, you would effectively double your wood supply. Running low on something, and the stockpiles are emptying? Remove stockpile, remove flooring.

re-add stockpiles/flooring as supplies become available.

Let's see......20x20s store 400 wood apiece, and you have 3 of them, so 1,200 total. if I used the stockpile+minecarts in the same area, it would be.....

~1,500 storage in a single 20x20 square. 400 for the floor, 361 for the stockpile, 40 for the stops, and 800 in the array of minecarts (my math may be slightly with a margin of error of 1-4 here). Say, 1,160 easily accesible.

On one floor. If all three of your 20x20 levels were used, it would be ~4500 logs stored, with around 3400 easily accessible, roughly.

A more space-efficient but still non-QSP method could be the use of stationary minecarts. One log for a constructed floor, one log for a constructed track stop, and a minecart full of logs parked on top of that. A largish feeder stockpile to load the minecarts from would even semi-automate loading. Admittedly, you'd have to set up one route/stop/minecart per tile, and you'd actually be doing all of the setup for a minecart-based QSP except for the dumping, but eh.

Space-efficient, maybe. Hassle-efficient no.

Plus, this way, you have a bit of a visual cue as to when you're running low.

EDIT: Wait, you can put logs for track stops? Never mind, that IS far more efficient. /EDIT

EDIT2: Sorry, my doesn't-use-minecarts-yetness was showing. so, for optimal storage, you'd want a 32x32 [Material] floor. In it you would put a 31x31 [Material] stockpile, with a [Material] minecart stop on every tile on the perimeter of the stockpile, with a minecart of every stop designated to store [Material].

The initial flooring will hold 1,024 [Material]. The stockpile and the Minecart stops each equal one of each additional [Material] (assuming what you're toring is something like wood that does not fit into bins), for another 1,024 [Material]. Now, if my math is right, there should be 128 minecart track stops.

or (1024*1024)+(128*X), where X=the carrying capacity of a minecart for a given material.

If we're using my original hypothesis of using wood, that would equal another 1,280 wood, for a grand total of 3,328 wood stored in a single 32x32 square.

Spoiler: Let's Math this out (click to show/hide)

Flooring is a lot better than roads for storage since it uses one block per tile, as opposed to roads, which are using materials more efficiently (you CAN make single tile roads, but that makes no sense in any way I can think of, except possibly architect training).

plus paved roads need an architect.

yeah, I started with paved roads because I was obsessed with getting rid of the dead saplings in my soil layers.

But with flooring, everyone from your great General Cacame to Dumplin the Littlest Cheesemaker fresh off her 12-year birthday can rush in and help. With roads you have to either wait or turn EVERYONE into an architect.

that said I do want to eventually pave the main pathways in platinum, with gold edges.

:o Floors... I never, ever thought about that.  That's a brilliant way to store stone and wood and blocks.  A bit micro and also a bit inefficient, but great for making small fortresses.

I disagree about the inefficient part. double the storage in the same space.

unless you mean inefficient about having to pry it up later.

Now that this discussion is out of the way, let's move on to the far more important topic at hand: Weaponizing this.

>.>

(only half joking)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 12:37:43 pm by Maul_Junior »

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile

Don't make floors. Make up/down stairs into a giant cube filled with stockpiles. Harness the power of the legendary z axis.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't make floors. Make up/down stairs into a giant cube filled with stockpiles. Harness the power of the legendary z axis.

.....that solves the "How do we weaponize this" problem quite nicely. Build a series of retracting bridges over the top, let nobles fishers goblins victims gather up top, retract all bridges, let them fall to the refuse stockpile (with bridges linked to lever that retracts the top bridges to seal in miasma)/butcher shop(s)/forges on the bottom level, reset bridges.

Largest stockpile is 31x31. Bridges must be 10x10 max. So just have 30x30 bridges? have an up stair to nothing in the middle....if something is on there and doesn't fall, it becomes target practice?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 10:24:55 am by Maul_Junior »

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile

The fun thing about stairs is that IIRC, anything that passes out while standing on them falls through.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Make Floor, then build Support, that's an effective 2 logs per tile. 
Sure you will need architect, but you would get legendary architechs.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

True, but if you floor+stockpile that's two logs per tile too, and anyone can store, no architect required. or just a sea of floor+trackstops+minecart holding 10 logs for 12 logs/tile

The fun thing about stairs is that IIRC, anything that passes out while standing on them falls through.

Don't know about that, but I DO know that if something starts to fall while on a staircase, they will not stop falling until they hit the bottom.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:32:36 am by Maul_Junior »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My problem with large area stairs is they look ugly.

Also, for stones such as blocks, when they reach a certain number in the thousands, the stock screen lags when you go over the stone blocks line.  This sucks for mega projects on those occasions.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

Also, for stones such as blocks, when they reach a certain number in the thousands, the stock screen lags when you go over the stone blocks line.  This sucks for mega projects on those occasions.

Lol, true that.... if your first action on the stocks screen is to stop and think, Is the item I'm looking for before or after blocks?, and begin scrolling down or up accordingly...  you might be hip-deep in a mega-project!
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The stock screen lag can be avoided by using the page up/down keys to "jump" the blocks line.
Also your math is off, a bin holds 10 stone blocks.(no idea on bars)

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.