Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do i use pots?  (Read 4693 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: How do i use pots?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 06:50:17 pm »

There's a weed joke here somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 07:15:43 pm »

There's a weed joke here somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it.

It involves processed food and the munchies.... let alone hiding things deep in containers where no one will find them...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 07:50:24 pm »

Oh, thanks guys for your advices! I really worried about food stockpile having a lot of barrels, but it seems to be not a big problem.
I would recommend not sweating it too much.  You will be constantly getting more barrels every time you trade for food and drink from outside the fortress (and you should if only for the sake of adding variety to your dwarf's diet) so trying to keep them all out would be a pain.  Since they tend to store similar amounts to pots, it is not really worth the effort of trying to get rid of them.  For the most part, unless the dwarfs are moving a stored object between stockpiles or to and from the trading depot, the weight of the container will not matter much (heavier things take longer to haul.)  And while pots are lighter than barrels, most of the barrels you get will be made out of wood, most of the pots you make will probably be made out heavier material than that, so it kind of balances out (your mileage may vary depending on the specifics of the materials in question.)  Most of the time barrels will just remain in storage, and dwarfs who need to get something stored in them will just take it out of the barrel and leave the barrel where it is. 

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 11:06:25 pm »

Not only that, but you can run a fortress without using pots/barrels at all (except for booze, of course).  In fact, it gives a lot more control.  I am impressed with the people who can run efficient fortresses with containers, but I have determined that I am not one of them (at the moment, anyway).

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 12:10:57 pm »

I just sell my barrels, I tend to trade with elves for the first ten years for exotic animals so wood barrels are useless to me.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.
Pages: 1 [2]