Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TAVERNS - How do you do?  (Read 1207 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
TAVERNS - How do you do?
« on: April 04, 2017, 05:59:23 pm »

How do you guys like to build taverns?

What features do you usually include?

In the lack of things like actual bar surfaces or whatnot, I am at somewhat of a loss as to variety.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:58:15 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TAVERNS - How do you do?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 07:52:40 pm »

I usually do a big dance floor and then a "bar" of tables and thrones on one side with drink stockpiles on the far side. Preferably carefully color coordinated.

Also important to have a magma flooding system.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:25:00 pm »

I have a well, and tables and chairs. The walls are smoothed and engraved, the floors are smoothed. Booze is available but not IN the tavern area itself: A short distance away through a hall with a curtain of waterfall, which falls through a grating in the floor of the hallway. Anyone who is thirsty can go through the dorfwash to help themselves. Same goes for a food storage area.

Oh, and a binless mug stockpile with at least two mugs of every coloured rock we have in the fortress. Because mug stockpiles like that are pretty, and my dorfs get to choose their favourite mug that way.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 08:36:50 pm »

You probably saw mine over in Mixtrak's thread. Not exciting but it does the job.
My old one was based on loosely on Buketgeshad plans, with the dining hall around the central stairwell. I had 8 tile booze piles on every floor, but back in my day we di'n' have any o' that fancy mug crap, no sir, when real Dorfs needed a drink they just dunked their beard in the barrel.

Also important to have a magma flooding system.

We have a winner!

I have a well, and tables and chairs. The walls are smoothed and engraved, the floors are smoothed. Booze is available but not IN the tavern area itself: A short distance away through a hall with a curtain of waterfall, which falls through a grating in the floor of the hallway. Anyone who is thirsty can go through the dorfwash to help themselves. Same goes for a food storage area.

Oh, and a binless mug stockpile with at least two mugs of every coloured rock we have in the fortress. Because mug stockpiles like that are pretty, and my dorfs get to choose their favourite mug that way.

Those are some cool ideas too! Except for the well. Why would you want a...oh...for cleaning up the humans puke...right!
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 08:52:38 pm »

Those are some cool ideas too! Except for the well. Why would you want a...oh...for cleaning up the humans puke...right!
That, and it amuses me that there's a bunch of dorfs covered in water and soap, tossing buckets of water over their heads, in the middle of my tavern. Also, you can make a meeting hall out of a well, so I often do.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 10:05:53 pm »

I like to have a main dance area with drinks and mugs on-hand then a sprawling mass of rooms and corridors linking the various bedrooms, dining areas and smaller chill-out zones.

I'm fairly pleased by how much dorfs will spread out through a complex tavern. And amused by how my naked elven musicians prefer to line the corridors instead of taking to the dance floor.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 12:38:33 am »

A short distance away through a hall with a curtain of waterfall, which falls through a grating in the floor of the hallway.

Isn't that an infant disposal system, or have I been reading things wrong?
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 05:57:35 am »

Chairs, tables, dance floor, booze and food storage... the usual. Sometimes I have some statues depicting various violent events of fortress history, for suitable atmosphere. I like to think they encourage brawling.

Often I have my militia squads sparring in the tavern, just because there is no reason to not have a fort full of Legendary Observers. Very cheap and useful entertainment.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 06:16:40 am »

A short distance away through a hall with a curtain of waterfall, which falls through a grating in the floor of the hallway.
Isn't that an infant disposal system, or have I been reading things wrong?
People do tell me that, but either my dorfs are better at holding babies than theirs are, or it's a myth. I also have had several dorfs give birth on stairs, and not had the infant fall to the bottom of the stairs, so there's another baby-dorf bug I've never had happen to me.

The curtain of water just falls over the dorfs and through the floor gratings, to a drain about two levels below. There's an access area into the edge of the drain a short distance away, but I've never had anything fall through the floor gratings other than water, so the access staircase is mostly used to harvest the pig tail that grows in the 2-units-deep water in the drain. The gratings and surrounding floor occasionally have 1-deep or even 2-deep water on them, but not enough to matter.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 08:20:12 am »

I like to have tables surrounding either a statue or a pillar. I also make them when I hit a large amount of valuable stone, like marble or magnetite.

Plus random primates pastured in there so I can pretend they are the waiters.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 12:09:26 pm »

I like to have tables surrounding either a statue or a pillar. I also make them when I hit a large amount of valuable stone, like marble or magnetite.

Plus random primates pastured in there so I can pretend they are the waiters.

Animal waiters, check.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dorfson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 02:09:04 pm »

It's my first fort with a tavern.

I started with an surface tavern inside the fort walls. I do have some fortifications as windows and I am planning to change it to glass/gems. it has two music instruments, some tables and a small (4x2) booze stockpile nearby. Also there is an INN attached with 6 rooms. Everyone is welcome on this one.

All my military is composed by male dwarfs (except by Lady Ralishen, Captain of the Guard and leader of Alpha Squad, that is the daughter of a fallen king, and the mother of the Baron of Nil Nil (Hammer of Hammers), the promised king. Long story...)

So, to help my soldiers to relax, I've created a second tavern, for residents only, called Hammer the Sins, that has more quality artwork, a big booze stockpile with a still, and music instruments also. It is runned by a female tavernkeeper and has 3 performers, all bisexual dwarfs.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 05:32:01 pm »

It's my first fort with a tavern.

I started with an surface tavern inside the fort walls. I do have some fortifications as windows and I am planning to change it to glass/gems. it has two music instruments, some tables and a small (4x2) booze stockpile nearby. Also there is an INN attached with 6 rooms. Everyone is welcome on this one.

All my military is composed by male dwarfs (except by Lady Ralishen, Captain of the Guard and leader of Alpha Squad, that is the daughter of a fallen king, and the mother of the Baron of Nil Nil (Hammer of Hammers), the promised king. Long story...)

So, to help my soldiers to relax, I've created a second tavern, for residents only, called Hammer the Sins, that has more quality artwork, a big booze stockpile with a still, and music instruments also. It is runned by a female tavernkeeper and has 3 performers, all bisexual dwarfs.

pssst.....let some visitors stay, and let THEM run the public tavern. this frees up all your dwarves for other things, and lets all yor dwarves stay away from the public tavern.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!