Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to use zombies for training  (Read 733 times)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to use zombies for training
« on: April 04, 2017, 10:09:47 pm »

My first DF2014 fortress quickly (and naively) fell to zombies (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163600.0). Of course, we can't allow that to happen. So I will reclaim, get better, and get even.

[Aside: The properly dwarven solution would probably be to build a huge magma weapon and burn them all to death. I thought this wouldn't work (mainly from reading furnaceclans), but apparently, zombies actually burn now (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=5511). However, I rather like my surface features, and there is a deep riverbed so I would end up with a quite different geometry. Maybe intersting as well, and who doesn't want a magma moat, but I think I'll reserve that for when I get bored of my nice rivers and trees :). ]

So I thought instead I would try to capture all the zombies in cage traps, and use them to train up my military until they can handle the next zombie siege without resorting to traps. Of course, zombies would make very nice archer training material, since they can absorb a nice amount of bolts, and I have previously made nice archery ranges so I think I can handle that, although with the new (for me) climbing feature I might want to add fortifications and/or smoothed walls in the plan somewhere :)

But since archers are not so good against zombies I really want to train up my melee. I can of course disarm a zombie and set my melee squad to kill it, but I think that would end pretty quickly, although it might be good training for new recruits. So I thought maybe it would give better experience to my squad if I would disarm my squad and let them wrestle the zombie to death, which I presume would give them a lot of opportunity to train their dodging, armor, fighting and shield skills and of course their wrestling. It's a shame you can't make a featherwood training mace :).

So...
1) At what skill level should I use zombies as live training material? I don't mind a couple injuries (doc needs training too), but I do want to keep fatalities down :)
2) Should I disarm my dwarves to get more XP per zombie?

And maybe
3) Does it help to set up a resurrection system with a caught necromancer (assuming I can get one)? I thought that with the new mauling system a zombie killed by a maceman should probably stay dead, but it probably doesn't hurt trying?

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to use zombies for training
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 12:32:14 am »

My first DF2014 fortress quickly (and naively) fell to zombies (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163600.0). Of course, we can't allow that to happen. So I will reclaim, get better, and get even.

[Aside: The properly dwarven solution would probably be to build a huge magma weapon and burn them all to death. I thought this wouldn't work (mainly from reading furnaceclans), but apparently, zombies actually burn now (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=5511). However, I rather like my surface features, and there is a deep riverbed so I would end up with a quite different geometry. Maybe intersting as well, and who doesn't want a magma moat, but I think I'll reserve that for when I get bored of my nice rivers and trees :). ]

So I thought instead I would try to capture all the zombies in cage traps, and use them to train up my military until they can handle the next zombie siege without resorting to traps. Of course, zombies would make very nice archer training material, since they can absorb a nice amount of bolts, and I have previously made nice archery ranges so I think I can handle that, although with the new (for me) climbing feature I might want to add fortifications and/or smoothed walls in the plan somewhere :)

But since archers are not so good against zombies I really want to train up my melee. I can of course disarm a zombie and set my melee squad to kill it, but I think that would end pretty quickly, although it might be good training for new recruits. So I thought maybe it would give better experience to my squad if I would disarm my squad and let them wrestle the zombie to death, which I presume would give them a lot of opportunity to train their dodging, armor, fighting and shield skills and of course their wrestling. It's a shame you can't make a featherwood training mace :).

So...
1) At what skill level should I use zombies as live training material? I don't mind a couple injuries (doc needs training too), but I do want to keep fatalities down :)
2) Should I disarm my dwarves to get more XP per zombie?

And maybe
3) Does it help to set up a resurrection system with a caught necromancer (assuming I can get one)? I thought that with the new mauling system a zombie killed by a maceman should probably stay dead, but it probably doesn't hurt trying?

I have a catbone mace you can't borrow.

>.>

Also the image of dwarves "disarming" zombies is kind of hilarious. "Grrr, arrrgh. It's just a flesh wound. aaaarrgh."
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 03:13:34 am »

You can make a feather-wood mace. It's called a "crossbow". Just make sure you don't have any bolts.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 09:29:54 am »

You can make a feather-wood mace. It's called a "crossbow". Just make sure you don't have any bolts.

Feather-wood Warhammer, I thought.

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 11:20:12 am »

If you capture a necro (or bring a slab to your fort as an adventurer), you can reanimate whatever animals you have. Even if sentient zombies are too dangerous, you might be able to fight a zombie pig. (see How To Bacon for more advantages of necropigs)
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 12:11:46 pm »

So using a crossbow for melee trains the hammerdwarf skill? Excellent! :)

I read about the bacon experiments and the use of zombies in the Kindergarten project, that is what prompted me to think about this route. I'll first see how far I get with normal training and some zombie training, if I do catch a necromancer I'll see what I can do. 

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 02:44:27 pm »

So using a crossbow for melee trains the hammerdwarf skill? Excellent! :)

I read about the bacon experiments and the use of zombies in the Kindergarten project, that is what prompted me to think about this route. I'll first see how far I get with normal training and some zombie training, if I do catch a necromancer I'll see what I can do.

Personally I'd train the dwarves as Hammerdwarves first, then branch them over to Marksdorfing. That way they get all fight skills, not just Discipline, Archery, Crossbow.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 03:07:55 pm »

Personally I'd train the dwarves as Hammerdwarves first, then branch them over to Marksdorfing. That way they get all fight skills, not just Discipline, Archery, Crossbow.
Good point; however keep an ex-hunter as leader of the squad so they'll get some peripheral xbow skills while training hammer, too (I usually have so many hunter migrants..)

Additionally try to avoid having females in your military due to baby/child loss tantrum spirals

(oh, & wooden training spear spike traps can now (0.43.05) cause significant dmg to semi-armoured green recruits: no more 'training room' exploit)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:14:47 pm by Snafu »