Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Infected with "malwere"  (Read 799 times)

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Infected with "malwere"
« on: March 29, 2017, 03:11:54 pm »

I haven't played DF in quite some time and forgot just how entertaining FUN it could be.  I did an embark on a tropical island out in the ocean (still trying to figure out how a caravan got here) and was looking forward to having ocean building fun maybe a dock town of some sort.

I've always held my own on domestic pursuits but one thing I've always been horribad at was military, I can never seem to get them going and equipped and doing what I tell them to do.  In this game I haven't even attempted it yet.

Sadly, it seems one of my dorfs has become a werelizard.  He killed two of my dorfs as quickly as I could pause the game.  I'm wondering what the best way out of this is considering I have no military, weapons, etc.  I thought my hunter might kill him with his copper crossbow but he won't even engage him.

I included the link to my save if anyone wants to give it a look.  I hope I can salvage it, I like the embark.  Any tips would be appreciated!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mrnsccvuracdbe/region1.7z?dl=0

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Infected with "malwere"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 03:25:11 pm »

Time is your friend, they'll usually convert back to dwarf shortly and it will often be non-hostile.  Do your best to isolate the were and send the populace fleeing to a locked room or as far away as you can (painting a burrow and then setting a military alert to that burrow is an easy way to direct civilians in a pinch).  Watch the combat log like a hawk, you need to know who's been injured by the werelizard so you can quarantine them later.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 06:03:06 pm »

As Werdna said, if they are still rampaging, then the best idea is to  hide everyone far away.  If you have no means of separating yourself from the werelizard (like a drawbridge), throw them one or 2 sacraficial dogs/dwarfs.  They will turn back to a dwarf after a couple of days, so if you can draw out the combat for a while it's good.  If you hide behind a sequence of doors, it will take them time to destroy the doors.

After the dwarf changes back, one thing you can do is put the werelizard in the millitary (in their own squad).  1 or 2 days before the full moon, station them somewhere out of sight of anyone else and out of sight of any destructible buildings (doors, etc).  Wait until they change to a were lizard and change back again.  Do that every full moon.  If you get attacked by something, send out the werelizard.  They will either die, or if it is a full moon, transform into a werelizard and kill everything.

Edit:  I had a look at your save.  It's not your dwarf that turned into a werelizard, it's a visitor ;-) All I did was burrow everybody into the farm and the dwarfs already up top fought with the werelizard until it ran away.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:33:56 pm by mikekchar »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 12:39:27 am »

My preferred way to deal with werecreatures is this: Wait till everyone who was attacked is in the hospital. Then seal the hospital until the next full moon. If no dwarf transforms, you're good. If some are infected, they will kill the others. But they will not destroy doors. So make sure your hospital has doors and you can stop any werecreature infestation. You may need a new hospital afterwards, or you kill the inhabitants with drowning or a cave-in.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 03:12:45 am »

I also do the "store injured victims of massacre in a hospital room and wall them in" method with werebeasts. Quarantine anyone who came in contact with the werelizard. If they transform, leave them walled into the hospital, unmake the hospital, and make a new one somewhere else. If they don't turn, you can dig them out pretty easily after the month has passed.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 10:30:31 am »

Thank you all for the great advice.  I ended up following *all* advice and did a combination of tactics:

1.  I assigned Litast to a squad and had her attack the were-lizard.  After the were lizard was chased off though she refused to move one more step even though I cancelled all orders and inactivated the training.  She just stood in place until I deleted the squad then she went to the hospital; not sure about that, I've always struggled getting military to work properly; it's what eventually made me put the game aside.
--I was unable to assign Tun to the squad as he is in the middle of being possessed in a workshop and I can't fulfill his crafting needs.  I just walled him in.

2.  I created a burrow and did a civilian alert (I had actually never done this before so this was a good learning experience and it worked great).

3.  I walled Litast into the hospital fully expecting her to turn and Tun is walled into his workshop.  I'm assuming he will simply go mad because now he can not die as a were-lizard and I can't fulfill his crafting needs.  I would have disabled 'care for wounded' but I thought this was a great opportunity to learn how to use these "resources" to some nefarious end.

4.  I waited and. . . . FUN . . . . Litast and Tun turned and I was ready for them.  Sadly, I must not have scoped the logs fully because Logom and Id also turned and they were right down in my fortress when they did with all my worker bees and they slaughtered most of the fortress.

I have my original save and am going to try it a couple times.  This is exactly the kind of scenario I need more practice on to get beyond my previous frustrations when I put the game aside.  I think I need to go watch some more tutorials on the military portion and even do an embark where I just put everyone in the military all the time and just "make it work"; thus forcing myself to work in those interfaces more.

Thank you for the advice and consideration!

Dorf on!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 06:06:31 pm »

If you've got them in a squad, that's great, don't remove the squad! Simply station them in a seperate room, somewhere far away, and get someone to wall in the room. Why make it difficult?

Alternatively, as I've had no difficulty with this, my method is to "cancel all orders" then wait, and all the injured ones go to the Hospital, and I wall it in. Evidently you've got dwarves who for one reason or another don't report to hospitals. That's unusual, in my experience, and usually indicates that I don't have a good working medical dwarf.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 06:15:19 pm »

My latest fort has a hospital set up so that all the beds are isolated, which should isolate any werecreatures.
It's notable that transforming cures the weres, including resetting any hunger or thirst counters. This means they can't starve or dehydrate. You can just leave them in a hole in the ground until they are needed.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 06:59:41 pm »

Malwere.  I like it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 11:01:30 pm »

I've always wanted to release werebeasts on other types of werebeasts in my fort. Not managed it yet: I only seem to get one werespecies per fort mostly.