Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the civil war bug still in?  (Read 1767 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Is the civil war bug still in?
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:04:23 am »

So I decided to attack the outpost liaison for funsies :D so after the liaison ran away from my fortress everyone got into a massive fight to the death outside the church with 2 casualties so far is the bug still in?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Is the civil war bug still in?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 10:41:22 am »

Pretty sure loyalty cascades are still a thing, yes, and as far as I know attacking your own caravan or liaison is a reliable way to start one.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 11:12:43 am »

Loyalty cascades are bugs only when triggered inappropriately. Deliberately attacking relatives of citizens and then getting a cascade is not one of those cases (as opposed to e.g. killing a were that turns back as the killing blow is on the way).

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 01:07:22 am »

Were beast outbreaks do create situations that look a lot like a loyalty cascade, where known were beasts are still hostile or treated as hostile by other dwarves even after turning back.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 06:16:44 pm »

In recent versions I have gotten loyalty cascades (or something like them) from my militia killing a tantruming dwarf.

Dwarf X fails a mood and goes berserk. Militiamen A through F show up, and A kills X. Suddenly, my entire militia is fighting each other. Then, the fighting seemed to stop at a random point, and A through D are still alive. No further problems. This doesn't match my understanding of what a loyalty cascade is, especially since A (who killed X) is still alive with no problems.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:31:19 pm »

In recent versions I have gotten loyalty cascades (or something like them) from my militia killing a tantruming dwarf.

Dwarf X fails a mood and goes berserk. Militiamen A through F show up, and A kills X. Suddenly, my entire militia is fighting each other. Then, the fighting seemed to stop at a random point, and A through D are still alive. No further problems. This doesn't match my understanding of what a loyalty cascade is, especially since A (who killed X) is still alive with no problems.

This might be interactions with the "levels of combat" system; The militia might have not been fighting at no quarter, and the remaining dwarves may have lost the will to keep fighting after enough casualties were sustained.
Did any laws get considered broken by your justice system?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 01:38:00 am »

In a loyalty cascade, the dwarfs will choose one of two sides (which I think are down family lines for the most part).  Anyone who sees the conflict with either join the loyalty cascade or not.  I have not been able to determine how it determines who will join or not.  Some ideas I've considered: it might be due to your views on vengence.  It might be due to your level of discipline.  It might be due to not being related to either of the factions.  Or maybe some or all of the above (or something else ;-) ).

The important thing to understand is that there are exactly 2 sides in a loyalty cascade.  The cascade will continue until all of the dwarfs from one side or the other are dead.  So it is entirely possible that the person who started the cascade survived -- it just means that their side won.  If you indicate family lines in the profession of your dwarfs, it makes it very easy to see how they are separated in the loyalty cascade.  Or alternatively (and less work) you can inspect the family trees of all the surviving members and note that they are all in the same family tree.

Also note that some dwarfs will not get involved at all (as I said initially).  I think that the first dwarf to initiate violence does not automatically join the loyalty cascade.  You can think of this as tensions growing unseen and the violence is really just an excuse to blow up.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 03:58:19 am »

I think the game manages to avoid loyalty cascades quite well these days, while still allowing dwarfs to fight each other when they feel like it (with only the occasional fatal accident to clean up...).

Even killing off the mood-failing berserk children doesn't trigger total meltdown anymore.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 06:29:16 am »

I think I got a loyalty cascade by killing off tavern visitors with my mercinaries and military bards. 

Lead to around 30 deaths or so. About half from one dwarf. He was everyone's favorite 16 year old hammerlord, "The Somber Lessons of Virginity".
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:15:52 am »

Attacking visitors with an ex bard unit sounds like a good way to generate loyalty cascades, given that some of the ex bards are bound to be chummy with some of the visitors.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 07:59:43 am »

Yes, that's why I used visitors for Uristnauts afterwards.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 07:31:32 pm »

This might be interactions with the "levels of combat" system; The militia might have not been fighting at no quarter, and the remaining dwarves may have lost the will to keep fighting after enough casualties were sustained.
Did any laws get considered broken by your justice system?

Ah yes, I'm sure this is what happened. Do you know why other dwarfs in my militia would have started attacking my militia commander (militiaman A) though? He didn't strike or wrestle any of them, which is what the wiki says non-lethal/lethal fighting requires.
I'm not sure about the justice surrounding it, I'll check if I still have that save.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 01:36:18 pm »

Loyalty cascades are bugs only when triggered inappropriately. Deliberately attacking relatives of citizens and then getting a cascade is not one of those cases (as opposed to e.g. killing a were that turns back as the killing blow is on the way).
That's not how treasons work...
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 02:31:05 pm »

IMHO loyalty cascade is not a bug, but we really need some way to deal with them and an in-game way to settle grievances, maybe if the justice system was more fleshed out and responsive to these kinds of situations.

Currently if two dwarves get into a mortal conflict, they consider one another mortal enemies forever. Court / prison / justice system should be able to "repair" citizen relations by giving a judgement that both parties have to abide by.

On a larger scale there also needs to be some way to tell other civs "the guy you sent as an outpost liason is a demon and wanted for murder in 14 fortresses, do not send us any more crazies or we will hang them". I do not want to get besieged by my parent civ because some random merchant guard turned into a werebeast and had to be put down.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:36:08 pm by Nikita »