Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population Ratio  (Read 1817 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Population Ratio
« on: June 13, 2017, 06:08:40 pm »

So I was looking at the POP_RATIO token.

I know this is meant to allow a certain ratio of births to take place when placed in a creature with multiple castes. Is there any method for doing this in regard to an entity made up of multiple separate creatures? If you make a civ made of say, elves, dwarves, and humans, is there any way to make it weighted for like 50% dwarves and 25% elves+humans upon initial worldgen?

Alternately, I could make them all one creature and make em' do it by caste, but it wouldn't be as good.

Thanks for your time!

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population Ratio
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:21:24 pm »

I have it on good faith that multi-creature entities aren't really a thing. Each one has its own single "stem creature" that it starts out as. Citizens can move around and switch allegiances and residences as they please, but the initial populations are all homogenous.

You're stuck with caste fuckery or nothing, I think.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 08:23:12 pm »

Civ with multiple [CREATURE] tags doesn't make them multi cultural (at least living together that is, unless new changes allow it) but adding more creatures to a civ will just pick at random what CREATURE will dominate that site, so a [ENTITY:ALL_RACES] would have a human town here, a elf town there, and a dwarf town elsewhere, but they'd all count as ALL_RACES.

Castes is the only way you can imitate a multi cultural race, but then you have the awkwardness of a dwarf couple having an elven child, a human elf couple having dwarf children.

Regarding pop_ratio if you wanted it 50% dwarf you will have to make sure that their number would be 1/2 where the /2 portion would be the ratios of the elves and humans

but the ratio calculation goes:

MY_CASTE_RATIO / (ALL CASTE RATIOS)

MY_CASTE_RATIO / (CASTE_A_RATIO + CASTE_B_RATIO + CASTE_C_RATIO + MY_CASTE_RATIO)

50 / (4 + 16 + 30 + 50)
50 / 100

now that is simple, but remember each race would have MALE + FEMALE castes but you don't have to have the numbers all add up to 100 I just chose to do that for ease of explaination in the end it could be 1/60000 for all the game cares that caste would never show naturally (unless by PUUURE stupid luck) You can create special leader castes that only hold positions of power by using the [CREATURE_CLASS] tags in the creature and the entity position

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 03:48:29 pm »

Awesome, that clears a lot up. Thanks for the assistance.

Side note: In worldgen will creatures reproduce asexually? If you remove male/female will it generate creatures while history is still running?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 08:35:44 pm »

Awesome, that clears a lot up. Thanks for the assistance.

Side note: In worldgen will creatures reproduce asexually? If you remove male/female will it generate creatures while history is still running?

No, the population will get a set amount of members, but they won't reproduce unless they have the MALE and FEMALE caste (at least 1 of each) single gender or no gendered races will die out over time (if not by age or war) you could in theory have them survive by using baby snatcher but then their civ will only live on through their kidnapped children

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 08:36:53 pm »

Interesting! And I see that there is a max starting civ to set the amount they start with.

Thanks for all the assistance again!