Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding SOS, please  (Read 739 times)

baconsoul123

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hey, i'm just a guy interested in programming :)
    • View Profile
Modding SOS, please
« on: March 05, 2017, 05:56:35 pm »

Hello there, I just joined the forum although I have been playing Dwarf fortress for a couple months now. And my god this game is fun! but when I discovered that you could mod the game I LOST MY MIND. I searched up on YouTube how to do basic modding and to my surprise I found nothing. So I searched the wiki and i was confronted with this:
          creature_standard

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:DWARF]
    [DESCRIPTION:A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.]
    [NAME:dwarf:dwarves:dwarven]
    [CASTE_NAME:dwarf:dwarves:dwarven]
    [CREATURE_TILE:1][COLOR:3:0:0]
    [CREATURE_SOLDIER_TILE:2]

and then this:

[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:
    THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]
    [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
    [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
    [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]

And just when I think I got the hang of it another concept comes flying by and smacks me square in the face. To be honest I don't think any tutorial is specific enough, I don't even know how the format for the "raw" files work. So i'm asking you god like modders to answer my call, to help me create my own stuff instead of going to paste bin and copying everyone else's work. thank you for your time and consideration.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding SOS, please
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 08:27:24 pm »

Check out the modding guide on the DF wiki here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Modding
Also, I echo your feeling of being blown away, I gave up game programming after I saw there was absolutely no way I could beat Dwarf Fortress.  ;D

After you read that, you can ask any specific questions on this forum, and you should be fine.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

baconsoul123

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 06:58:08 pm »

OK, I went to the wiki and studied some basic creature creation. The part that confuses me is the body part orientation. Can anyone e explain that to me?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:35:02 pm »

Oh, the order they're declared in doesn't really matter I don't think, just as long as they're all present it will connect whatever is available to the appropriate spots as defined in body_default.txt, then it'll go through and grab the materials defined in b_detail_plan_default.txt, check them against the tissues in the same file, and apply the relevant vertebrate/exoskeleton/whatever tissue layers accordingly to get the right effect of muscles being damaged after skin and before bone and so on.

baconsoul123

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:31:06 pm »

ok thank you.

baconsoul123

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 06:30:16 pm »

ok, now how exactly do you work the attacking system for creatures.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 09:42:25 pm »

Oh, the order they're declared in doesn't really matter I don't think, just as long as they're all present it will connect whatever is available to the appropriate spots as defined in body_default.txt, then it'll go through and grab the materials defined in b_detail_plan_default.txt, check them against the tissues in the same file, and apply the relevant vertebrate/exoskeleton/whatever tissue layers accordingly to get the right effect of muscles being damaged after skin and before bone and so on.

The order they're declared in does matter--parts cannot connect to parts that have not already been declared. If HUMANOID isn't first, none of the other parts will be able to connect.

ok, now how exactly do you work the attacking system for creatures.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#ATTACK_SKILL