Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Apocalypse World (2.0)] The Ash Wastes  (Read 794 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Apocalypse World (2.0)] The Ash Wastes
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:42:46 pm »

Nobody remembers how or why the world died.  The oldest survivors have childhood memories of cities burning, society in collapse as the world died.  Of skies and dreams on fire with weird alien lights.  Lines of life and communication shattered. Cities, cut off from one another, raged like smashed anthills, then burned, then fell. Every horizon scorching hot with civilization in flames, light to put out the stars and moon, smoke to put out the sun.

In Apocalypse World the horizons are dark, and no roads go to them.  The dead land stretches from horizon to horizon, with only small areas of life that offer no shelter.  And at the edge of your perception it waits, something howling, everpresent, full of hate and terror. From this, the world’s psychic maelstrom, we, none of us, have shelter.

Apocalypse World is all scarcity, of course it is. There’s not enough wholesome food, not enough untainted water, not enough security, not enough light, not enough electricity, not enough children, not enough hope. However, the Golden Age Past did leave us two things: enough gasoline, enough bullets.  There’s no stability but what you carve, inch by inch, out of the concrete and dirt, and then defend with murder and blood.

Sometimes the obvious move is the right one.

I wanted to run a game of the new edition of apocalypse world in pbp.  I am looking for 4-5 players who can post at least every other day.

This game is about a conversation to see what happens to your characters.  I am not out to get you, but to make your lives interesting and make the world seem real.

In the pregame phase you can choose a playbook and make your character, I'll ask some questions to get a better idea of the world.  The only thing I know about it right now is that it is mostly a desert of dead earth, known as ash, and ruins, and that in the middle where you guys are is a place that might be alive but is not safe.

If you want to join I need:

-Choose a playbook.  Basic and extended playbooks are in play.  Make your character.

-Anything you want to see in particular in the game (half dinosaur people, bulldozers, fighting ring, whatever).  Also anything you do not want in the game, this can be by pm if you want.

-Your characters work together somehow, at least at the start.  You do not need to be friends but at least associates or colleagues.

-I will have questions for you as well, answer them as best you can.  We do not need detailed backstories, those cna come about in play.

-If you want something like a vehicle or have questions about equipment please ask.

-How familiar you are with AW.  Will not effect sign ups, I will take the first 4 or 5 people interested.

The main page has the second edition playbooks and extended playbooks.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:46:10 pm by VoidSlayer »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Apocalypse World (2.0)] The Ash Wastes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 01:44:55 pm »

Reserved for maps and such.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 12:35:17 am »

Ill take a stab at this.

Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 03:29:45 am »

Aseaheru: Okay great, on the vehicle, I am going to wait a bit to see what the other players have.

Do you care about what happened to Tammy?

Also, is there a good dice rolling site you guys want to use or is it okay if I roll for you?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:09:22 am »

Yes, yes I do care. Because plotlines!

I dont care much about rolling one way or another.
Highly Opinionated Fool

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 11:37:08 pm »

Well, I will give it a few more days, I guess.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 02:14:38 pm »

Okay, well if anyone wants to join they can and we can do history and stuff then.

In the meantime, lets just call your vehicle Growler, you need to make some choices about what it is like.

So Growler is massive=2 speed=0, handling=0, 0-armor;

Then choose looks strengths, looks, weaknesses and battle options:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That should tell us about the vehicle, but also, was it something from the stasis facility you fixed up or something you found outside?

You have been out and about for a few weeks and any food rations you had from stasis are gone.  So did Jackbird let you live on their farm for a few days in exchange for manual labor and an unspecified favor recently or are you starving and thirsty?

I was thinking of starting you on the farm or headed to one of a few communities to do whatever you are looking to do.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 03:10:06 pm »

Spoiler: Here ya go (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 03:27:24 pm »

Nah, it's not a battle vehicle (although you could certainly make it one, or get one, later) someone either took the gun or it was never really meant for combat (like a surplus one for driving people around town).

I rolled for your weird and got a 7, so you somehow fought off the maelstrom, for now.  We can get back at it later but your weird is -.

We have to make the lifestyle move at the beginning of each session and you do not have any barter so I was wondering what has been going on, have you been trying to work with the locals to get food or just going hungry or what?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 05:20:55 pm »

I was wondering how that worked. From what I can tell, I dont start with any form of barter, nor can I just do a job for some.

Also, fair enough, I had been thinking of it as being potentially something that had been stored in the stasis, but that works.
Highly Opinionated Fool

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 03:23:08 am »

Yeah, all the playbooks are made to have the lifestyle move done at start of session.  You can basically have your lifestyle taken care of but you are going to owe an NPC a favor.