Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1035 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
About Dwarf Fortress
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:45:18 am »

A couple of months ago I was asking some questions on the forums and mentioning I was preparing a short presentation about Dwarf Fortress. Thanks for your replies, especially to FleetingFrames and PatrickLundell. The presentation was good, so I decided to refactor it into a short youtube video about Dwarf Fortress.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 03:42:48 pm by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: About Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 08:14:53 am »

Cool, watched it through and left a like. ;D
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 11:45:07 am »

I did not leave a like, because I don't do that, but liked in this more æthereal way.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:20:58 pm »

Thanks guys  :) I don't care about youtube likes or views, I can tell from the comments and feedback that people like it. Btw, a fellow DF player on reddit noticed that I mispronounced "Minotaurs" (like Mine-o-tors). I could not live with that. I have now reauploaded a corrected version. Just in case you wonder what happened to the old link. There's no new content, just this fix. No need to watch it again. The link in OP now point to the corrected version.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:56:49 pm »

As far as I'm concerned, both pronunciations (assuming you changed it to "minn-o-tors", haven't checked) are as valid.  Us English  tend to call the island "mine-oss", after all.

I picked up some other uttered word, outlying as rather strangely pronounced, but you ought to hear my attempts to speak anything other than English, so I have no valid complaints to make..  ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:59:47 pm by Starver »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 05:42:21 pm »

Minotaur is pronounced 'mine'-o-tor in the UK. 'Min' actually seems closer to the original greek minotaurus though (although wikipedia says that's 'meen' which is slightly different again).

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 01:44:48 am »

Dang, I should have checked more thoroughly. I only checked on forvo.com. A couple of days ago I only saw two pronunciations with minn from the US. Now I see that there are some with mine from the UK as well. I guess I can make the original video accessible again. Thanks guys.