Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Talkin' Bout Computing Generations -- Our Nerdy Origin Stories  (Read 3152 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Talkin' Bout Computing Generations -- Our Nerdy Origin Stories
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 12:57:15 pm »

You two are a bunch of OLD PEOPLE.

To be quite honest, the point in time where I started using computers and I started knowing how to make computer stuff work for me (sometimes) is separated by at least a decade. I started playing computer games as a little kid on cartoonnetwork.com or whatever. Of course, once I started learning (roughly around age 14/15) I didn't stop, and now I've got knowledge on everything from setting up and handling databases in SQL (short version: it's ok) to setting up Cisco routers and troubleshooting internet issues (short version: it really sucks, never do it for free).

But I absolutely wouldn't have been able to start it on my own, and it's always interesting to me to read about people growing up in times and/or places where this wasn't acceptable. Hell, my high school had mandatory year-long computer science courses, where it was expected you'd be able to make functional websites using Python and CSS for your final project (I spent most of that final project making Tic-Tac-Toe if I recall, with different difficulty levels). Now, granted, my high school was a math & science high school which lived and breathed this sort of stuff, and that's still a pretty radical departure from the average experiences I hear about (my current professor in college was pleasantly surprised to hear about it, at least), but it also shows you how much this has moved forward with time. I mean, my high school is definitely a specialized high school (I think it's in the name, actually) for students performing very high above average, but it was also, you know, a public school with close to 4000 students (how can one be both specialized and huge? Be located in NYC of course), all of whom are expected to learn this.
Y'know, despite playing a whole bunch of video games when I was a kid, there was also a lot of playing outside with my brothers. When we moved to Memphis briefly, I remember following the storm drain for quite a ways, where it actually ended up turning into something like a beach. Was fun, doing that sort of exploration.

For sure, I played outside a ton, too.  Just mostly by myself.  And yes, stuff that you couldn't get away with today, at least not near the city.  I wandered off into the woods by myself as early as 5.  My parents gave me near unlimited freedom, compared to what I feel like I can get away with giving my kids today.
My mother gave me pretty damn near unlimited freedom, I just never used it. Her only rules to my sister and I when we were younger were not to hurt ourselves, not to hurt each other, and to tell her where we were so she could find us if necessary. And of course, we never used our freedom except to challenge those rules whenever possible (my sister and I once played around throwing kitchen knives for sport. Inside. I don't believe our mother ever found out, because if she had she would killed me for it).

It's just that I hated (and still hate!) going outside. I can enjoy myself once I'm already outside, but actually deciding to go was something I rarely did.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 01:54:21 pm »

I got started with computers relatively late in life with an obsolete win 95 box that had a 166 mhz processor and ... I forget how much ram (not much). I think that was in the early 2000s.

This computer really sucked, but it did teach me a lot including the most important lesson for any budding computer nut: Computers are really hard to screw up by accident, so don't worry, change settings at random to see what happens! You can learn a lot that way :)

Games that could be run on this system included Oregon Trail (3 I think) and Myst. Most of the other games that came with it sucked (we got it second hand). Looking back I wish I had some of those old games, oh well.

I can safely say that that old PC changed my life. Before I was a fairly normal (albeit somewhat unsociable) kid, after I was a total computer nut, and would much rather play PC games (or simply play with the PC) then go outside.

~2007 (I was 15-16) a friend gave me a book on programming because I expressed an interest in learning, and suddenly I had something other than games to do on my PC :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 04:51:35 pm »

This computer really sucked, but it did teach me a lot including the most important lesson for any budding computer nut: Computers are really hard to screw up by accident, so don't worry, change settings at random to see what happens! You can learn a lot that way :)

This is true, and the most important difference between people who are comfortable with computers and those who aren't.  Most of the time people think I've performed some wizardry, and I'm like "I just looked at the interface, clicked on a thing that looked related to what I wanted, and tried something.  *shrug*" 

But these are people who never do anything that they don't specifically know.  They have to be trained step-by-step on how to do exact things, and are lost whenever something doesn't behave the way it did every other 1000 times, even if it would be obvious by just reading the words in front of them.  This is like 80% of my co-workers.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 05:05:43 pm »

these are people who never do anything that they don't specifically know.  They have to be trained step-by-step on how to do exact things, and are lost whenever something doesn't behave the way it did every other 1000 times, even if it would be obvious by just reading the words in front of them.  This is like 80% of my co-workers.

Do you live in the US?

Because that'd explain it :P

Though to be fair, I do get a bit antsy whenever I fiddle around with things I'm not familiar with (like the registry or the services menu of my laptop)...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 05:53:21 pm »

these are people who never do anything that they don't specifically know.  They have to be trained step-by-step on how to do exact things, and are lost whenever something doesn't behave the way it did every other 1000 times, even if it would be obvious by just reading the words in front of them.  This is like 80% of my co-workers.

Do you live in the US?

Because that'd explain it :P

Though to be fair, I do get a bit antsy whenever I fiddle around with things I'm not familiar with (like the registry or the services menu of my laptop)...

Yes.  In Indiana.  One of the most backwards states.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 05:57:43 pm »

Trust me, it's the same all over. It's called "human nature", or as prefer "human stupidity".

In this particular case it's driven by the fact that most people don't really know anything about computer, and view them as magic boxes best maintained by wizards.

Honestly most of the world population is made up of ignorant peasants who don't want to learn.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 06:02:16 pm »

Trust me, it's the same all over. It's called "human nature", or as prefer "human stupidity".

In this particular case it's driven by the fact that most people don't really know anything about computer, and view them as magic boxes best maintained by wizards.

Honestly most of the world population is made up of ignorant peasants who don't want to learn.

I don't think that's the sort of thing you want to say.

Next up it'll be us having the massive egos, and that's a "one step forward, two steps back" situation.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 10:13:53 pm »

One thing that shocks me is just how much many people, middle-aged or older especially, really hate learning how to use computers.  Like not just find it difficult or annoying.  But are somehow on some level genuinely horrified by them.

We have dual monitors at work, and one of my middle-aged co-workers had her screens switched.  She asked for me help, and I switched them back in a matter of seconds.  It was no big deal.  But she watched me do this with a blank, uncomprehending stare... which I'm used to.  But then she shook her head and stated deadpan "I'm glad I'm on my way out."  I was shocked.  It hadn't dawned on me before this that completely uncontroversial every day interaction with technology was effecting people on such a deep level.  This was a couple years ago, and since I've learned to look for it, I'm noticing hints of this sort of emotional response from more people.  Some I wouldn't have even expected it from.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 01:17:13 am »

Technoshock.  It's well documented in Japan, it happens when the technology advances faster than people can adjust, and is similar to other forms of psychological trauma.  It only gets worse as the rate increases, eventually the vast bulk of the population is no longer able to actually comprehend the tech they have to live with.

Edit: though due to the very problem it was created to explain, it is now extremely difficult to get any decent search results out of google for it.  I hate you forever internet.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:27:53 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 [2]