Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Defend Thy Hovel  (Read 5198 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Defend Thy Hovel
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2017, 05:12:22 pm »

My bad, I was a bit unclear I guess when I said what you could use skills on. You can only invest points in known skills, as in skills you for sure know exist which at the moments is only Axe Use, because its the only skill you guys have seen so far :v
Darn, I thought by "known skills" you might have meant mundane skills, as in things a peasant might know existed (I.E. no magic). Oh well

Put one point into axe usage and save the other one

Loot corpse!
Loot corpse!
Buy ten units each of string and metal nails.
Construct 4 crude crossbows that can be triggered remotely by pulling a string and reset the trap.

+1
+1

F*ck my mind right now

+1

+1 and eat them for armok's sake
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2017, 05:38:15 pm »

My bad, I was a bit unclear I guess when I said what you could use skills on. You can only invest points in known skills, as in skills you for sure know exist which at the moments is only Axe Use, because its the only skill you guys have seen so far :v
Darn, I thought by "known skills" you might have meant mundane skills, as in things a peasant might know existed (I.E. no magic). Oh well

Put one point into axe usage and save the other one

Loot corpse!
Loot corpse!
Buy ten units each of string and metal nails.
Construct 4 crude crossbows that can be triggered remotely by pulling a string and reset the trap.

+1
+1

F*ck my mind right now

+1

+1 and eat them for armok's sake

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2017, 12:00:20 am »

You quickly set about prying the adventurer's corpse off your spiked log before stripping both of them of any valuables which turns out to be a pair of swords, their leather jerkins (one in a somewhat damaged state from your trap), a pile of coins, and a palm sized leather-bound book with words you can't read on it. Sighing, you drag them outside and hide them behind your pile of lumber before washing yourself in a nearby stream.

Cleaned up, you head towards the nearby hovels and proceed to search for anyone willing to sell nails or string. It takes you most of the day to find someone who is willing to sell you some string and it turns out to be the old hunter that lives near you. After handing the man two silver you manage to get quite the stock of string, supposedly left overs from his time as a bowyer a few years back. When it comes to nails your luck isn't quite as good, the only person willing to sell you some is the village carpenter and it takes a further two silver to even get half the amount you wanted.

Finally finished with shopping, you return home and spend a short while placing the spiked log back into the rather shoddy holster in the ceiling. You briefly contemplate carving some crossbows, but after you waste a decent chunk of lumber trying to use your lumber axe to make one you give up on the idea.

Spoiler: Loot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hovel (click to show/hide)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2017, 12:32:16 am »

Attempt to spend a skill point on the book. Perhaps it can convert skill points into skills, or maybe there is a reading skill...
Carve a notch down a lumber to gain access to the centre then carve out a wider pillar down the middle into which you can insert a second lumber to act as an axle.
 Use a lumber to gently hammer a sword through the hollow lumber so that the blade is perpendicular to the hollow lumber.
 Etch a groove a short distance under the sword that goes all the way around the hollow lumber.
 Cut out a patch of grass from next to your door and stow it aside.
 Carve a long, narrow scoop from the end of a lumber and use it to dig a deep, narrow hole.
 Carve a dirt-catcher along one end of the axle lumber to prevent it from rotating, then put it in the hole and pack the dirt in tightly around the dirt-catcher to stop it from rotating and around the next section to stop the axle from moving.
 Put the hollow lumber with sword on top of the axle and loop a string around and around the groove such that if it were pulled the sword would rotate to cut the back of the legs of anyone who was standing a short ways outside of the door.
 Use some off-cut lumber to make a small ramp for the sword's hilt to cause it to rise up to ankle-height when the string is pulled.
 Place the grass sheet back from whence it emerged and cut a flap that can open to allow the sword and hollow lumber to rise out from under flaps of grass.
 Feed the string into Hovel.
 "I'm a lumber jack and I'm okay!"
 Gather many stones and construct a weight-and-pulley system to pull the string with great force.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]