Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wikihow improvement thread  (Read 657 times)

hoodedfiber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wikihow improvement thread
« on: January 20, 2017, 02:34:15 pm »

Today I learned Wikihow has a tutorial on how to play Dwarf Fortress. As you may imagine, it is nowhere NEAR being sufficient to explaining how to get started, so I suggest that we put together something that will actually help a few people out.
       My general idea is, rather than making an actual guide on how to play DF (since this has been done so many times before, and is something that wouldnt fit into a WH article), we make a series of links to pre-existing resources and how to use them. I'm going to write out a rough outline, and I would love some help making this into something that, rather than confusing and scaring away new players (as the current guide probably does) will attract new players and grow our community.

Title: how to learn to play Dwarf Fortress

#the header should quickly, and clearly explain that the article is not meant to fully teach how to play the game, rather how to find helpful resources.
             Learning to play Dwarf Fortress can be a frustrating process, but with the right resources, it can be made much easier, and hopefully these resources will make learning to play one of the most complex games out there as easy as possible

#some essential things to include in the article

I know this is barebones, but I would really appreciate some help fleshing it out, because I think that the current article is more confusing and intimidating to new people than it is helpful.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wikihow improvement thread
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 05:36:00 am »

Could be a good idea