Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves have no booze. Halp!  (Read 1447 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves have no booze. Halp!
« on: January 20, 2017, 03:52:25 pm »

Hello, I have a problem. I have a fortress with a still to make booze for my obese slackers dwarves. Somehow, though, I get cancellation spam saying "Urist McBrewer cancels Brew Drink from Plant: Needs empty food storage item." I have set the "Reserved Barrels" setting to 30 in the stockpile menu. (And yes, I did create a lot of barrels after I did that, so the problem can't be that all the barrels were already reserved for something else.) Help?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves have no booze. Halp!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:56:37 pm »

Any burrows set up that'd make them not able to get to said barrels?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 04:54:58 pm »

No. None of my brewers are assigned to burrows, nor do any of the stockpiles intersect with a burrow.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 05:00:27 pm »

Try making stone pots, that's usually what I do in such a situation.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 05:37:57 pm »

- Check that there aren't any locked doors between barrel storage area and still.
- Also, check there aren't any "give/take from stockpile" commands getting in the way.
- Make stone pots, see if that helps them to solve the problem that way.
- You could try making barrels from a different type of wood. If there are reserved barrels for another purpose as well as the still, perhaps that reserve is getting them BEFORE the still reserve fills. I've never done the reserve barrels thing, but I seem to remember someone telling me it was buggy.
- Try turning off the barrel reserve function entirely.
- Check the barrels aren't {forbidden}....

Oh, and dig a well. If all else fails, at least they can drink.... water.... <shudder>.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 05:40:20 pm »

- Check that there aren't any locked doors between barrel storage area and still.
- Also, check there aren't any "give/take from stockpile" commands getting in the way.
- Make stone pots, see if that helps them to solve the problem that way.
- You could try making barrels from a different type of wood. If there are reserved barrels for another purpose as well as the still, perhaps that reserve is getting them BEFORE the still reserve fills. I've never done the reserve barrels thing, but I seem to remember someone telling me it was buggy.
- Try turning off the barrel reserve function entirely.
- Check the barrels aren't {forbidden}....

Oh, and dig a well. If all else fails, at least they can drink.... water.... <shudder>.

Better than drinking muddy water with their hands out of a pool. My dorfs were forced to do that for a few weeks while kea's flew around with my entire stockpile of dwarven wine.

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 06:25:01 pm »

If ThisFox's suggestions don't work, check to make sure that Urist McBrewer really isn't an elf wearing a fake beard.

To check this, I have found that a retracting bridge and magma works well.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 06:50:01 pm »

Precisely! I position the suspect on a raising bridge surrounded by stone. I also place a bucket of magma on the stone right next to the bridge. Any legitimate dorf will immediately run off the bridge for the magma so he can stumble into it when fighting goblins, so when I retract the bridge, any impostors will be flung off the bridge! It's genius!

Also, I might have found the problem. I have a bunch of raw fish barrels that my fishers bring home. I don't have a fishery workshop yet, though, so can the fish barrels actually be reserved, leaving no room for the booze?

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 11:01:21 pm »

While I'm loath to suggest this, if worst comes to worst and the problem continues, you may find it necessary to remove the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag from dwarves under the creature_standard.txt in your world's raws. Of course, what's the point if playing DF if there is no Dwarven Wine?
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 08:30:54 am »

...you may find it necessary to remove the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag from dwarves under the creature_standard.txt in your world's raws...

Based on this statement Rethi-Eli that I have taken out of context, I am concerned that indeed you ARE an elf spy.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 03:42:02 pm »

...you may find it necessary to remove the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag from dwarves under the creature_standard.txt in your world's raws...

Based on this statement Rethi-Eli that I have taken out of context, I am concerned that indeed you ARE an elf spy.

shit
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 05:05:24 am »

shit

Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 11:00:36 am »

Hello, I have a problem. I have a fortress with a still to make booze for my obese slackers dwarves. Somehow, though, I get cancellation spam saying "Urist McBrewer cancels Brew Drink from Plant: Needs empty food storage item." I have set the "Reserved Barrels" setting to 30 in the stockpile menu. (And yes, I did create a lot of barrels after I did that, so the problem can't be that all the barrels were already reserved for something else.) Help?

No matter what the problem is, it's always stockpiles somehow.  Get rid of all of them.

Also I'm sure you have SOME containers, they just have stuff in them.  Make sure it's available for cooking and possibly, that will free up some.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 03:17:20 am »

If you have a stockpile of booze linked directly to the still (to take from the still & deliver elsewhere) you require all of the stockpile links to be ready.

So basically here is your checklist.

> Farmers harvesting plump helmets & delivering to a stockpile, a proficient farmer can pick up 4/5 at once compared to a dabbling farmer who can only pick up 1.
  • A stonecrafter/carpenter making food holding items (barrels/pots) that are not #10. queued up to store food or other objects in use waiting to be hauled# and are sitting peacefully in a stockpile, the stockpile which can be together with your furniture or not must be connected directly to the still as a empty food storage item and the still will ONLY use those containers for the still's reactions.

> A link to your seed stockpile to take the seeds away from the still when you're done automatically so they can go back into the crop growing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:19:11 am by FantasticDorf »