Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PC monitor & sound dying at the same time; PC still running  (Read 480 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile

I have an issue where my computer monitor (a 32" Asus HDMI-capable monitor) suddenly turns off for no discernible reason, seemingly completely at random; it did it twice while I was playing Stellaris, then twice more just 15 or so minutes ago when I was just on the desktop -- once after talking to some people on Skype, and the other immediately after I restarted the computer and it was about to display the desktop again. What's more, the sound also shuts off at the same time, so for all intents and purposes, it's as though my computer turned itself off. Strangely, though, the computer is actually still running; the fan motors are running and everything.

Unplugging and replugging the monitor (and waiting 10 seconds) does nothing. Resetting the computer works, although I have no way of knowing if it's going to crash again or no, or when it's likely to happen. It shouldn't be due to overheating of the card (I use an AMD Radeon R7 360 Series GPU hooked to my motherboard), because it's crashing even when I'm not running a graphics-intensive game or application that would tax its resources. And even if the GPU was failing, I don't see how that would explain my sound failing at the same time. Unless it's somehow detecting that my video went down and thought I'd turned off the PC, so it turned the sound off by itself, too?

Is my motherboard going bad or something? I have absolutely no idea what's going wrong, here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: PC monitor & sound dying at the same time; PC still running
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:17:42 pm »

Do you have another monitor you can try? Failing that do you have another computer you can test the monitor with?

Do you have another graphics card you can swap your current one with? (or by "hooked to the motherboard" do you mean that it is an integrated card?) If it is an integrated card can you install a separate discrete card and see if that works?

Diagnosing this kind of thing more-or-less requires you to have other parts you can swap in until the problem goes away. If you don't have other parts you can try you are mostly SOL.

One thing to do to see if the computer is locked up or if it is only the AV is to press capslock, if it switches state then the computer is probably fine, and the problem is likely restricted to your sound and video. If the capslock light won't turn off or on then the computer is probably locked up, but still powered (hence the fans still working, etc)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: PC monitor & sound dying at the same time; PC still running
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:26:07 pm »

I think I managed to fix it by turning my computer's automatic monitor shutoff/standby mode-after-X-minutes settings off. I switched it and haven't had the issue since. Still, I've got my fingers crossed. And yeah, I do plan to use Num or Caps lock and see if the light comes on. If it doesn't, my motherboard's sure as hell fried. x_x