Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Worst Sequel(s) you have ever played?  (Read 14978 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Sequel(s) you have ever played?
« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2017, 10:07:30 pm »

And you continued arguing in t'thread, keeping the ball rolling. You were arguing too, bub.

If any of you feel like continuing the argument, please take it to PMs.

Anyhoo, isn't Homeworld's story a little outlandish anyways??? I don't know it that well, but it just seems like you conquer the galaxy with a super weapon for revenge.

Clear attempt to move on. All was fine until peeps started screaming "Ad Hominem" again, that was page 10. It was a constructive argument up until a page ago. Also dude, don't be so condescending. People are allowed to feel passionately about games--they're literature, they're important to how we develop and think, inform our behaviors, and our feelings, and can stay with you forever. Get off your high horse, "bub."
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2017, 10:18:51 pm »

Now you're starting arguments about things that weren't said. Please, just stop.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2017, 10:49:52 pm »

Shit, now I've got to get in fast, before the thread gets locked.

Quake 3 was, is, and always will be the most disappointing sequel of my life. I bought it, hoping for a continuation of Quake 2 and got Unreal Tournament but without the cool aesthetic, interesting weapons or better movement. It honestly, in my opinion, is a good example of the attitude that killed ID: games that show off a few amazing features at the cost of everything else being just okay.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2017, 10:51:40 pm »

Okay well. I'm not touching the TES shit.

I'm gonna +1 on Clear Sky being disappointing as hell, though. Shadow of Chernobyl was very well done environmentally and atmospherically but if you played through it you already knew what happened in Clear Sky. And it did happen. And the game was over. It just felt... empty. Going through the same stuff you'd already seen was disappointingly stale in a way that Bioshock 2 was, but much worse (And I enjoyed most of Bioshock 2 a great deal, which makes me a unicorn or some shit).

I'm gonna go a little Old School with Hexen 2. The original game was one of the last developed on the original DOOM engine, which at the time was polished pretty well for what it was. The environments were varied and truly interesting (and one is where I got my username from), with a pretty decent variety of enemies and class-based variation in a shooter that was pretty damn fresh at the time.

And then 2 came out and took a shit on it. It was everything bad about the transition to Quake-era game engines, sucking the soul out of the environments and turning them all into a grainy, boxy pixel-pile filled with stiff enemies and devoid of almost all flavor. The music sucked, there were basically only 5 environments, at least two of the classes barely worked right (FUCK the thief's stealth skill. useless shit). It was a waste of money all around.

I had more, but ah. Hmm. Star Control 3 doesn't even count. I'm sure I'll remember what I forgot at some point.

EDIT: Oh right. Red Alert 2. the original was a pretty neat take on alternate history with a little super-science built in. How the hell did we go from that to psychic dolphins and wrestling bears or whatever? It felt like someone actively tried to destroy the franchise and THEY MADE MORE...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:56:37 pm by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2017, 02:05:21 am »

EDIT: Oh right. Red Alert 2. the original was a pretty neat take on alternate history with a little super-science built in. How the hell did we go from that to psychic dolphins and wrestling bears or whatever? It felt like someone actively tried to destroy the franchise and THEY MADE MORE...
Red Alert 2 is kinda vexing for me. I wouldn't call it a bad sequel to Red Alert because it's mechanically superior in pretty much every way. I like the silliness of some of the units but it kind of does feel out of place at times.

I actually kind of prefer Red Alert 3 in that regard, which took the silliness of Red Alert 2 and just dialed it up to 11. Basically any pretense of seriousness is gone when Tim Curry is the soviet leader and you have battle bears. It's over the top, silly as all hell and the characters chew the scenery like it's their lunch and it consists entirely of chewing gum. I love it.

What I don't love is the whole emphasis on co-op within the campaign with the AI commander "helping" you out. The missions don't really feel difficult or balanced for it and the whole thing just feels kinda dull and uninteresting. Or rather it would if you didn't have the deliciously over-the top performances by the actors in the FMVs between and sometimes during the missions. Also the special characters are overpowered as hell and their missions are dull as a result.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2017, 06:30:48 am »

i've been kinda debating putting here or not because while it's not the worst sequel i've ever played, it's still something i was super fucking disappointed with: monster hunter 4 ultimate

on one hand, online multiplayer is great (even if, honestly, years later than it really should've come), and all the new monsters are rad, but then it brought in all the shitty older monsters with zero fucking improvements instead of creating more new monsters, actually fixing those monsters' issues, or reusing the superior 3rd gen monsters

the story felt far too forced and while i appreciate the attempt at making a more relevant story, the writing is just as bad as the previous games so having it more in your face just comes off as annoying, especially the random fucking tutorial popups

the level design is just plain bad, with the transition to full 3d camera control and more fluid vertical movement, it really felt like they made every map as obtuse as possible with random ledges, elevation changes, and climbable walls all purely for the sake off showing off the new systems in the game

and tying both those points together is the fucking sunken/volcanic hollow bullshit, which would work in a linear game where you aren't constantly jumping between the two maps, but the way they shoved that in is just so...

finally, the procedurally generated endgame quests with procedurally generated armour and weapon rewards

just what the hell were they thinking with that one...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2017, 02:47:04 pm »

MGS4 is certainly the weakest of all the MGS games.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2017, 06:00:14 pm »

Red Alert 2 is kinda vexing for me. I wouldn't call it a bad sequel to Red Alert because it's mechanically superior in pretty much every way. I like the silliness of some of the units but it kind of does feel out of place at times.

I actually kind of prefer Red Alert 3 in that regard, which took the silliness of Red Alert 2 and just dialed it up to 11. Basically any pretense of seriousness is gone when Tim Curry is the soviet leader and you have battle bears. It's over the top, silly as all hell and the characters chew the scenery like it's their lunch and it consists entirely of chewing gum. I love it.

What I don't love is the whole emphasis on co-op within the campaign with the AI commander "helping" you out. The missions don't really feel difficult or balanced for it and the whole thing just feels kinda dull and uninteresting. Or rather it would if you didn't have the deliciously over-the top performances by the actors in the FMVs between and sometimes during the missions. Also the special characters are overpowered as hell and their missions are dull as a result.
I actually liked Red Alert 2. It was silly, but in a "90s idea of awesome" kind of way, and part of its silliness was based on real Cold War dumbness (psychics and war animals), so it didn't feel as ill-fitting. Plus how can you not love turning the eifffel tower into a giant tesla coil? Though then I never saw anything C&C-related as particularly serious. I mean, those cutscenes.

Red Alert 3, on the other hand, introduced the weeb faction with anime units. The only good thing about it was George Takei.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2017, 06:29:43 pm »

ARMA series, to the first Operation Flashpoint game (which got retconned into ARMA: Cold War Assault, making ARMA 1 a sequel to OFP). I have no idea how ARMA so completely missed the point of the game, from both gameplay and story perspectives.

I've never been in the military, so I don't really know what a siege or urban combat or anything looks like. But OFP's scenarios are plausible. In one mission you play a helicopter, supporting a ground attack on a town. You see armor moving against armor, then infantry coming in behind once you've taken care of the tanks. Whether or not that's what would really happen, it makes sense to a layman as being some kind of realistic.

In an early mission from ARMA 1, you have to blow up a bridge while an enemy convoy's passing over it. Fair enough, but your squad is way on the other side of town for no reason. The go-ahead to blow up the bridge comes after some vehicles are already over, too, so you have to run away from some really dangerous shit, totally unsupported. Then, while on the way to rendezvous with your squad, you have to blow up three APCs. Or maybe it was two APCs and a tank. Any of those will kill you instantly if they spot you, and you have to do it all by yourself. It doesn't make sense at all. It's not even like they consider it an inconvenience, it's like they're targets of opportunity you could easily deal with along the way.

Also, you have to swim to plant the bombs under the bridge. If you swim too long in ARMA 1, your backpack just vaporizes, taking your assault rifle and ammunition with it.

I have problems with ARMA 2 as well, but I didn't even get past the third real level (Razor Two).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:39:24 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2017, 07:20:21 pm »

finally, the procedurally generated endgame quests with procedurally generated armour and weapon rewards

Retention. It's not enough that drops themselves are random, developers have learned that player time is infinite when you consider the entire playerbase. So they had to decrease the odds of ultimately getting what you want, and what better way to do that than randomly generate what you might get.

Seeing it in a lot of games now everywhere I look. Warframe and Dragon's Dogma are two games that immediately come to mind. Remember when you used to kill end-game monsters with a specific idea of what you were doing it for? *shakes cane at the children*
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2017, 01:43:43 am »

I actually liked Red Alert 2. It was silly, but in a "90s idea of awesome" kind of way, and part of its silliness was based on real Cold War dumbness (psychics and war animals), so it didn't feel as ill-fitting. Plus how can you not love turning the eifffel tower into a giant tesla coil? Though then I never saw anything C&C-related as particularly serious. I mean, those cutscenes.

Red Alert 3, on the other hand, introduced the weeb faction with anime units. The only good thing about it was George Takei.

Red Alert 2 is great. I don't see why people wouldn't like it, but then again, I also can't see why people would take Red Alert 1 seriously, either. How can you even take evil SuperStalin and BALD MAN CONSPIRACY seriously at all? I hope I don't come across as aggressive, but Red Alert as a series has always struck me as being campy and cheesy as hell, just with varying levels of self awareness.

Speaking of which, Red Alert 3 was terrible.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 01:45:27 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2017, 01:52:36 am »

Dead Rising 3

Now don't get me wrong Dead Rising 2 was a disappointing sequel that did many things wrong... But sometimes all you need to do better is to make mistakes first. For example the villains are weak... Instead of each one being aspects of the human consciousness and victimization being put to extremes due to the outright tragedy of the zombie apocalypse (With a few... weak ones), all the villains were people no matter how silly... They (Dead Rising 2 now >_<) are all people who either hate you because you are famos, love you because you are famos, or want to be famous themselves.

But then comes Dead Rising 3 which continues what was weak about the second and adds even more weak elements.

One thing interesting about Dead Rising is that it was a survival scenario, everything in the mall was something that would conceivably be in a mall. Dead Rising 3? Everything is everywhere! The villains feel completely disconnected from the game outside exactly one and have no pathos or humanity whatsoever...

As well remember how you rescued people in Dead Rising? Well you do that in the second as well... in a sort of weak way (you clear zombies and they save themselves). As well the timers for events are so unbelievably generous there is actually a mode that speeds up time like 10x speed and it is still possibly to beat it... It really feels like they made Dead Rising 3 for people who hate challenge.

I am just astonished... that Dead Rising 1 had a boss who was a chainsaw juggling acid balloon throwing clown and even he felt more believable then Dead Rising 3's "Fat woman at a buffet defending her... somehow endless supply of food..." with deadly force.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2017, 02:13:12 am »

Mind you I won't blame the main character for Dead Rising 3.. DANG can that guy act... He managed to make me forget that I was playing a game at least once.

Though part of the issue is that he is kind of too straight laced to even conceivably do the things he does in the game.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2017, 02:13:36 am »

Red Alert 2 is great. I don't see why people wouldn't like it, but then again, I also can't see why people would take Red Alert 1 seriously, either. How can you even take evil SuperStalin and BALD MAN CONSPIRACY seriously at all? I hope I don't come across as aggressive, but Red Alert as a series has always struck me as being campy and cheesy as hell, just with varying levels of self awareness.

Speaking of which, Red Alert 3 was terrible.
It's not that I don't like Red Alert 2, I think it's mechanically one of the finest RTS games ever made and beats Red Alert 3 on that front in pretty much any given scenario.

It's just that I have a soft spot for silliness and camp and Red Alert 3 just doubles down on it and dials it up to 11. the anime faction, soviet battle bears, allied spies imitating Sean Connery, Tim Curry. I love it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2017, 09:30:03 am »

RA2 ai was nonexistant until five or six pattches were made. Literally
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]