Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dedicated Minecraft server for only 2 people?  (Read 5154 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated Minecraft server for only 2 people?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 06:55:28 am »

Sorry for being confusing.

NAS stands for Network Attached Storage.  It is basically a hard drive stuck on your local network.  They are primarily used to store videos and pictures so they can be read from things like DVRs and streaming media players like appleTV and Roku players.  They can be pricey, in the 140$ range, but they make great dedicated server appliances. (It is what they are designed for.)

Under the hood, they run a very minimal linux kernel, busybox, and some other server software to help them do what they are designed for.  Basically they are tiny linux boxes, that dont look like they are tiny linux boxes. You dont need to be a linux geek to use one.

With some ... assistance... they can be made to run OTHER kinds of server software.   Like the minecraft server software. ;P (but it DOES take a linux geek to make that happen.)

Once it is running on them, you just connect to the server's IP address like any other, and it should just work. The only real issue might be getting past your router-- you might need to set up a forwarding rule on the router to forward the ports the server uses so that people can connect to it. That's about it.  You would have to do that if you used one of your own computers as a server as well.

The black magic voodoo incantations are only for people like me (there are some in this board), who might be interested in trying this kind of thing themselves.

If you want to hire out the server, that's fine.  I would just set up the server on something like my NAS, but what is easy for me is not easy for other people. Paid servers exist for a reason.

I fully intend to continue my experiment though.  I have tomorrow off, and will use it to finish the experiment. My NAS is always turned on, but again, my upload speeds are horrible. You are welcome to help test it though.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:08:37 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 10:02:05 am »

the experiment continues.

after a bumpy start, the server is running without crashing on the mycloud nas, using openjdk instead of sun java.
fyi, needs to be jessie flavor chroot, not wheezy, when using debian userland. wheezy's openjdk is too old and crashy.

taking ages to generate the spawn area though. 30mins so far to get to 30%. >.<  must be the 800mhz version of that cpu in here.

gonna sleep and let it churn.  should be finished when i wake up-- then i can testdrive the nascraft server.

Nope, the NAS just isnt powerful enough to properly host a minecraft server. Not enough CPU power. Runs about 300ticks behind consistently, holds one core saturated at 100%.  I blame the use of java, and its excessive overhead on doing things, but that's just me.

would need to be run on a faster computer. I might try it on my minnnowboard htpc I cobbled together last year. That has a much faster atom based cpu.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:19:06 pm by wierd »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 01:36:22 pm »

Uhh...Do you guys need the server to be up all the time?  You can literally just run the Minecraft server executable on any old computer (with enough RAM), so long as you can port-forward, and it's just a matter of knowing what IP/port you've got.  Which shouldn't be overly complicated.

And if you have an old box with decent memory, you could just leave the thing running on that all the time.

@Middle Of Sappho's Post:

Yes, you can run the Minecraft server executable on your computer.  Look into port forwarding, that's how your mom would connect to you/vice versa, by typing in your IP and port.

You will need to do server modding as opposed to client modding, which I can't help you with.

Yes, it will be a drag on whoever's hosting's speed.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 01:56:20 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 [2]