Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you remove cave adaptation via syndrome/poison?  (Read 1817 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you remove cave adaptation via syndrome/poison?
« on: December 23, 2016, 11:07:10 pm »

So, I recently learned how to add a syndrome to certain alcoholic drinks, such as Sunshine, and it occurred to me...can one add a modifier to the syndrome that would remove, or at least reduce (preferably reduce) a dwarf's cave adaptation score? The effect would have to be non-temporary to make sense (non-temporary in the sense that it doesn't wear off itself, it just permanantely reduces the score, though the score of course would keep ticking down after the drink, as it normally should).

I browsed the wiki on things, and I did find CAVE_ADAPT as a creature token, but that didn't seem to cooperate.

Anyways, before I spend a few hours experimenting, does anyone already know the answer, having tried this?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:19:16 pm by Walkaboutout »

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can you remove cave adaptation via syndrome/poison?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 11:11:56 pm »

Double post nevermind, see above!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:19:52 pm by Walkaboutout »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 08:38:14 am »

Not with normal modding.

It is probably possible with DFHack, but you would have to ask someone else for details (I don't know much about the internal details of creatures).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

OluapPlayer

• Bay Watcher
  • In a time before time, I attacked me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 06:52:43 am »

DFhack has the "adaptation set" command which lets you set the value of a dwarf's adaptation score, or of all dwarves in the fort at once. "adaptation set all 0" would remove all adaptation from all dwarves in the map.

Can't say I can help with the syndrome idea, unfortunately.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 07:17:23 am »

Well, now all you need to do is read up on "modtools/syndrome-trigger"!

Use syndrome-trigger to call adaptation and the desired effect will be obtained, albeit with the help of DFHack (which is undesirable to some people).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 09:38:41 am »

Thanks for the info all. I'm probably not going to mess with it if it would require DFHack to accomplish. I'll mess a little more with a syndrome, but I'm sure you're right. Ah wells! I could always remove the adapt tag from dwarves, but I'd rather not do that either, as it serves as an interesting little mechanic.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 11:36:29 am »

You can't remove cave adaptation with normal modding.  BUT, with some creativity, you could use the CAVE_ADAPT trigger for other things that would remove its effects.

For example, you could make Sunshine add the NO_NAUSEA tag, as well as give a good thought.  Then you can also make it remove the NO_NAUSEA tag and add an equal strength bad thought when CAVE_ADAPT is at least zero (CAVE_ADAPT triggers only trigger when underground, regardless of the actual value).  Dwarves will still technically experience cave adaptation, but the bonuses they get while outside will nullify its negative effects.  As an added bonus, they will be immune to nausea from other sources and have net positive thoughts when they are outside and under the effects of Sunshine.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 10:25:03 pm »

You can't remove cave adaptation with normal modding.  BUT, with some creativity, you could use the CAVE_ADAPT trigger for other things that would remove its effects.

For example, you could make Sunshine add the NO_NAUSEA tag, as well as give a good thought.  Then you can also make it remove the NO_NAUSEA tag and add an equal strength bad thought when CAVE_ADAPT is at least zero (CAVE_ADAPT triggers only trigger when underground, regardless of the actual value).  Dwarves will still technically experience cave adaptation, but the bonuses they get while outside will nullify its negative effects.  As an added bonus, they will be immune to nausea from other sources and have net positive thoughts when they are outside and under the effects of Sunshine.

That's....a very clever idea, sir. Hmmmmmmm