Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: magma forges and cave moss.  (Read 979 times)

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
magma forges and cave moss.
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:02:57 pm »

I knew that, once you had breached the cavern in some fortress in a given world, you get cave moss showing up in the next fortress (in the same world).  I was pleasantly surprised the other day, though, when I discovered that I could build magma forges in a newish fortress without reaching the magma (in a world where I hit the magma sea in another fortress).  But, when I tried out another new fortress to try a few things out, it did not seem that the magma forges were still locked.  Was the second fortress bugged, then, in that I could build magma forge without discovering magma?  Or are there other requirements for building magma forges that do not involve reaching the magma sea?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: magma forges and cave moss.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:40:15 pm »

I'm pretty sure that you can build a magma forge anywhere, it just doesn't work unless it is over magma. Could be wrong though. Testing must be done.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:56:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure that magma forges are only unlocked when you have magma revealed somewhere on your current map. Or have had it. So it wasn't unlocked simply because you were nearby like the cave moss is. If you were to search that map, you'd find it somewhere. If the magma was at the surface and got hit by water, it might only be obvious to you as a brick of obsidian somewhere.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 05:04:54 am »

Magma facilities are locked until magma is discovered (as Thisfox said, but in conflict with what Derpy Dev said). I don't know if previous magma discoveries can cause the facilities to be unlocked at a subsequent embark under some circumstances, as I rarely reuse a world.

However, I fail to see the point, since a magma facility is rather useless unless you've got power for it, and if you plan to move the power you typically build the facility on top of the pit with magma, after the magma has been moved (and you definitely have discovered it at that point).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 10:18:55 am »

If you start on a volcano, you auto-unlock it at embark.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 09:39:07 am »

You can always just use the dfhack command "feature magma" then magma workstations can be build (but you still need the magma for them to run)

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 02:17:38 pm »

Well, I cheat (I "use source add magma" to create pools of magma for use in magma forges after I unlock them.)  :P  Creating a giant pumping system to pull up magma from the depths, I found, is death on FPS, besides being too much of a headache.  Still required digging all the way to the magma sea (or caverns with magma pools--never did a volcano embark).  I was pretty amazed when I realized I could build magma forges without reaching the magma sea on my present map and I wondered if there is some secret method of unlocking it that I didn't know.  But it seems that this was probably a bug, then.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 02:19:06 pm »

Well, I cheat (I "use source add magma" to create pools of magma for use in magma forges after I unlock them.)  :P  Creating a giant pumping system to pull up magma from the depths, I found, is death on FPS, besides being too much of a headache.  Still required digging all the way to the magma sea (or caverns with magma pools--never did a volcano embark).  I was pretty amazed when I realized I could build magma forges without reaching the magma sea on my present map and I wondered if there is some secret method of unlocking it that I didn't know.  But it seems that this was probably a bug, then.

Yeah honestly after I proved to myself that I had learned how to do pumps, I found that it isn't worth the FPS.

I use liquids now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 04:04:26 pm »

Yeah honestly after I proved to myself that I had learned how to do pumps, I found that it isn't worth the FPS.

I use liquids now.
Build pump stacks from the top down, and magma will be teleported from the bottom to the top without ever inhabiting the space in between. This means no temperature recalculations, and very little, if any FPS loss.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 03:43:21 am »

I build my magma forges down close to the magma sea, but when I did build them up by the other workshops I moved the magma by mine cart. Pump stacks are great for large amounts of liquids, but two mine carts worth of magma is sufficient to power one magma facility, so a pump stack for that is serious overkill.