Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fallen Gods IC  (Read 751 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fallen Gods IC
« on: December 06, 2016, 06:30:50 pm »

And so you fell. Stripped of your godhood you plummet towards the earth below. You see three other lights descending upon the world, other gods most likely, caught in the same horrifying trap as you are. The ground gets larger and larger before your eyes until there is a jarring collision.

Zalu
When the dust clears enough for you to see, you discover yourself in a vast desert. You are in a large crater, caused by your impact. The resulting heat and force fused sand together into a crystal bowl shape around you. Large shards of molten glass were also cast out into the vicinity. Beyond the edge of your crater, sand dunes stretch on seemingly endlessly in every direction. Small outcroppings of stone ruins of strange design break the landscape off on the horizon to the south. To the west you spot what may be trees, perhaps an oasis. You note that there seem to be some sort of creatures there, but you cannot tell much about them without approaching.

Xerneas
You crash into the ground with such force and devastation that all life within the area is incinerated instantly. You find yourself squeezed into a tiny body at the bottom of a smoking crater. Beyond the edge of the crater trees have been toppled and or been set alight by your arrival. In fact, large fires are spreading out from your impact zone, devouring the previously pristine forest. The fires are particularly bad to the north of you. With all the smoke and the dense forest, it is impossible to see far in any direction, but you remember spotting strange magical emissions from a cave to the south as you flew over it. You also remember a small village, but you cannot remember if it was to the east or the west of you.

Arvanor
Your arrival on this world is neither graceful or composed. You slam headfirst into mountain, toppling a large section of it. When you emerge from the rubble, you find yourself halfway up the mountain and overlooking a grassy valley bellow. The mountain itself seems to groan from the unexpected and unwelcome impact of your arrival, and you feel a strong spirit deep within. It seems rather unhappy. Looking out from your vantage point you can see a river, along which is a small tribal village of some sort. Further along the mountain range you spot several stone structures, but they have no apparent signs of life. Regardless of destination, you feel it would be unwise to remain here while the angry mountain spirit awoke from its slumber.

Absynth
You find yourself plummeting into frigid waters. It appears you crashed through some thick sea ice into the cold depths bellow. From this vantage point you can see nothing of the surface, but you did notice large ice spikes, vast frozen plains, and great icy chasms as you fell. Although, you really didn't have time to get any more than that. Beneath the sea ice the ocean floor spreads out off into the distance. Small creatures cling to life here, and you notice among them some larger creatures. There however doesn't seem to be much more to note beneath the frozen waters, at least in the vicinity.

Gods
Spoiler: Zalu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Xerneas (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arvanor (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Absynth (click to show/hide)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Fallen Gods IC
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:38:23 pm »

As the god of life, if the benevolent life around me can sense this, guide them away from the fire. If they can't sense that then spend a life essense. Go east for the village with benevolent wildlife in toe.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 03:15:20 am »

Zalu looked at the desert around him. At the sight of the crystal bowl his tentacles twitched in appreciation and the desire to improve further, but he held it back for now. The crafting could come later, first, observe surroundings, strengthen position, survive. Likewise, the ruins begging for repair had to be ignored for now. Be strong Zalu, be strong.

Gather up some of the shards of glass and cautiously go west, to observe the maybe-oasis, in particular the creatures around it
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:22:10 am by Demonic Spoon »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 01:40:27 pm »

Absynth surfaces, and searches the great ice plains for life or any particularly notable geographical features.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 05:39:50 pm »

((Right ho))

"Well... then. This is most unpleasant. But there is work to be done."

Arvanor heads towards the village.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 05:28:55 pm »

Turn 2

Zalu
You grab a dozen or so glass shards. They are hot and sharp, but this is only a mild inconvenience to you. You head towards the oasis and it becomes clear rather quickly that there are two types of humanoids gathered around the water. It seems that there are half a dozen or so gnolls in light armor herding a larger group of perhaps 20 smaller humanoids dressed in rags. The smaller humanoids are slightly furry and appear rat-like. Each is carrying a large pot, which they are filling with water. One rat person spills a large portion of their water and is then repeatedly whipped by one of the gnoll slavers.

The oasis itself is rather full of life, small trees grow around its edges and small fish of bright and various colors inhabit its clear deep waters. Unknown to the mortals, this oasis seems to be the home of a small water spirit.

Xerneas
You innately can sense the life around you, but they are unable to sense your presence. Expending a bit of essence you command the nearby wildlife to follow you to safety. You lead the various animals to the east. Among them are small mundane animals, among them a dozen large herbivores. They are six legged flabby beasts with a large number of tusks and are a light shade of brown. However, a larger predator seems to have been attracted by your command as well and is following a short distance behind the less dangerous animals. It appears to be a type of giant reptile perhaps ten feet long from head to tail. It is sleek and moves with power, but it is also covered in heavy spines across its body and head. Its tail ends in a sharp wicked hook.

As you continue onwards you find the village eventually. It is a small compound of perhaps one hundred little green goblins. Their large heads and tiny bodies make them look mischievous, and when they smile they reveal sharp teeth. Standing about three feet tall, they are clothed in the furs and leather of the forest creatures and wield crude weapons made of wood, bones, and the tusks of forest creatures. They heard your call to the animals and have gathered around their leader. Standing a full foot taller than the green goblins, a larger red/orange goblin seems to be the leader of the group. Judging by their weapons, they're not exactly friendly.

Arvanor
Disregarding the dust, rubble, and awakening giant mountain golem, you make a swift exit. You quickly move out of the vicinity as large chunks of stone are shaken off the mountain. Eventually the giant spirit settles and returns to its rest, but not before several dozen large boulders tumble down the mountain. You take reasonable measures to not be underneath them as they descend.  You move closer to the village and find it to be primitive, yet very well kept. The people who live there are small satyrs, standing no more than 3 or 4 feet tall. Their hair is bright shades of orange and red, and their skin is ecru. The males have swirling ram horns.

The seem to be lounging in the warm midday sun. Some are napping, others are fishing in the river, and more can be heard inside the small huts. It doesn't seem that any of them have noticed you as of yet.

Absynth

You surface from the icy depths and are accosted by the bright light of the sun. Its piercing rays cause you a fair deal of irritation, but are more an annoyance than an actual problem. At least for now you should be fine. Gazing across the ice plains you see two points of interest across the frozen wastes. First, you see the frozen skeleton of a dragon. Half preserved in a giant ice ridge, half protruding yet intact, it really is a chilling sight to see. If something could kill a one hundred foot dragon, it would pose a serious risk to you in this state. But you don't feel any strong powers nearby, only a mild residual energy coming from the dragon bones. You also notice a small fortress across the ice planes. It seems that some hearty people have made this place their home, but you cannot imagine why anyone would pick such an inhospitable location.

Gods
Spoiler: Zalu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Xerneas (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arvanor (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Absynth (click to show/hide)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 05:43:24 pm »

Step 1. Demonstration
The stag god commands a swift strong flying animal to swoop up the leader and bring it to em. (if none, than swift animal that can do this task and if not, accomplish this by self). Expand essence to heal wounds of the goblin leader.

Step 2. Terms
Use essense to communicate the following to the leader:
•You and your tribe will worship me as the god of life. You, as the leader will intern live a longer life so long as I am pleased.
•When I leave here, though I represent the might of the forest it is not an insult to slay my beasts when we are not assembled like this, it is balance, I will not be insulted.

Then leave for the cave.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:53:07 pm by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 05:44:29 pm »

Step 1. Study.

Arvanor observes the village further, attempting to hear the satyrs speaking to each other.
If he can understand their speech, he reveals himself and asks to meet the leader of the tribe.

If he cannot understand their speech, he locates a tree, then removes a small twig from it, shaping said twig into a ring and enchanting it to allow him to understand the satyrs' language. In the ring's creation, he prioritizes the spending of Enchanting essence as opposed to the more versatile Divine essence.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 06:19:56 pm »

A trace of exitement flashes in Absynth's eyes as he catches sight of the dragon skeleton. He would make good use of it in the near future. He then shapes the darkness into a tangible form: a multitude of small, floating eyes which he can see through remotely. He uses both his darkness essences in the creation of the eyes. If he can, he sends the eyes to observe the fortress (and the residents) and its surrounding area.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 12:16:43 pm »

Zalu looked at the Gnoll's water transportation system, and was struck by its terrible inefficiency, unable to help himself, he tried to make something better

Spend 1 Crafting essence and 1 Divine essence to make the glass shards into a somewhat magical aqueduct that will transport water to wherever the people are carrying water to.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 12:14:55 am »

Zalu
Seeing the ineffectiveness of Gnoll's use of slaves to carry water, you create an aqueduct that leads towards their settlement. The shards of molten glass elongate and grow until a glimmering aqueduct stretches into the distance. Jaws drop, several of the rat-people accidentally drop their water pots in sheer surprise. A clever gnoll, an uncommon occurrence to be sure, recovers before the rest. She approaches you and speaks to you in a language of barks and noises which, to a trained ear, could perhaps be a very poetic language. But it is foreign to you. The gist however, is quite clear. This gnoll wishes to take you back to their settlement.

Very shortly after a water spirit slides down the aqueduct a short ways and then returns. I am the spirit of this oasis. I have been trapped here since the ocean dried up and this land became a desert. Please, return me to the ocean.

Xerneas
You command the large lizard beast to snatch up the leader, which does a fair bit of damage to him in the process. This causes the entirety of the village to draw clubs, spears, and bone knives. It seems that they don't particularly like the sudden aggression. When the leader is brought to you, you heal his wounds and give him your terms. While this is met with some begrudging gratitude, he frowns once you command him and the other goblins to worship you. He speaks in goblin for a few moments, a chattery language which is foreign to you, and of which you don't particularly understand. After a moment when it becomes clear that you don't understand his native tongue. He clears his throat and says, in an obviously rehearsed, but still awkward demonstration of the divine language, We under protection of god Byru. To hear this goblin speak in the language of gods is rather unsettling and lends credibility to his statement.

Arvanor
'After spending some time observing the saytrs, you come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no rhyme, reason, or structure to their language. If you could call it that. It seems that they don't actually communicate in the same way that most mortals do, but more akin to animals. The lack of structured organized language may be the reason while this particular race of mortals has yet to advance beyond the use of simple wood tools. They seem clever enough, but since there is no exchange of ideas, most information is lost when an individual dies. Really rather interesting and perhaps would be a rather good subject of study given different circumstances.

Absynth
You craft two of your dark essence into two remote flying eyes. They're shadowy as you are, but have a green glowing slit as a pupil. When focusing you can control these two eyes remotely from your location, but doing so removes your vision from your own eyes. You direct the eyes to hover near the ice fortress an examine it for life. Doing so is like moving your own muscles, and takes a bit of getting used to, but you manage to get an awkward grasp on it fairly quickly. They float closer to the fortress and it becomes very clear that it is inhabited, as the inhabitants begin firing arrows at your floating eyes. Their aim is good, but you are beyond their range. You cant get a good look at them, but they are some sort of small blue people with three eyes and four arms. Beyond that, and their apparent mastery of ice-masonry and bows, you can't discern anything else about them.

Gods
Coming Soon (Sorry about the long delay by the way, I've been pretty busy these last couple days).

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 12:40:31 am »

I am quiet for a moment...

In the language of the gods

I AM THE GOD OF LIFE

Us essense to make a glowing display, as I, the animals and the trees surounding me, begin to glow and slowly increase in brightness as I speak. Use a little essance to make the goblins feel a pleasant but gentle surge. And with whats left make waves of air push outward from me.

(actually, leave it at that)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 01:21:19 am »

Zalu
Seeing the ineffectiveness of Gnoll's use of slaves to carry water, you create an aqueduct that leads towards their settlement. The shards of molten glass elongate and grow until a glimmering aqueduct stretches into the distance. Jaws drop, several of the rat-people accidentally drop their water pots in sheer surprise. A clever gnoll, an uncommon occurrence to be sure, recovers before the rest. She approaches you and speaks to you in a language of barks and noises which, to a trained ear, could perhaps be a very poetic language. But it is foreign to you. The gist however, is quite clear. This gnoll wishes to take you back to their settlement.

Very shortly after a water spirit slides down the aqueduct a short ways and then returns. I am the spirit of this oasis. I have been trapped here since the ocean dried up and this land became a desert. Please, return me to the ocean.
"I will consider it. Do you happen to know where the nearest ocean is? I have not yet studied the local geography."

After talking with the water spirit, follow the Gnoll to the settlement and try to get a handle on their language.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 02:07:41 am by Demonic Spoon »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 07:20:06 am »

Absynth ponders for a moment, before walking over to the dragon skeleton. He takes a suitable sized bone (a bone which could serve as a spear for the ice people if shaped), and imbues it with darkness and his will, so that whoever wielded the bone would be corrupted, and subservient to him. He uses all his essence in this.

((Planning to forge it afterwards- assuming forging can be done over a few turns.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 01:41:32 pm »

It seemed reasonable. But at the same time, not. How could they have constructed the village without intelligent language? Something's up.

Arvanor observes them further. There must be something deeper to their communication. Either that, or something more intelligent is behind this.