Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diagnosing FPS death  (Read 2185 times)

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diagnosing FPS death
« on: December 12, 2016, 07:26:30 pm »

I currently have a fort going using version 0.43.05. There are no mods or other utilities (eg: DFHack alpha) involved at this time.

The current population is up to around 110. FPS is now down in the sub 30 range and it is just getting too frustrating to actually play anymore. I am looking for suggestions on if or how it is possible to salvage this.

Some things I've tried:
1) Turning off temperature
2) Caging all animals
3) Optimizing the pathing designations. The fort is pretty well set up in terms of avoiding hallway collisions or difficult pathing decisions I think.
4) Walling off the underground. There used to be a grate-blocked hallway connecting the bottom staircase to the underground cavern but I walled it off.
5) Sold off most used clothing to traders (still a bit left though)
6) Built an atom smasher and started on destroying excess items. But the total numbers in the stocks screen are not excessive. They are actually pretty tiny compared to forts I've played in past years.

I haven't even dug down past the first cavern yet in search of magma and now I'm just not having fun anymore.

Is there anything in the current DFHack alpha which would help at least narrow down where the major FPS bottlenecks(s) are?

I can make the save available if anyone wants to take a look.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Diagnosing FPS death
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:15:02 am »

How many years old is this fort?
For an established fort of 110 dwarves 30 is pretty good.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:57:30 am »

Never mentioned what kind of CPU you have.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 03:55:59 pm »

Well, turning off weather, any misters and removing flowing liquids could also help. Note that this doesn't affect evil weather, however (if you have reanimating embark, then necrosplosions in invisible caverns can eat into your FPS).

You might be able to function slightly better if you don't let DF use the main computer core, or even limit it to just 1.

I've read that retire/unretire has helped to salvage FPS lost from surface channeling in particular. It will also bring back any animal populations you killed off, however.

Dfhack does have fix/fat-dwarves, clean all, cleanowned....

Other modding, I've seen idea of removing rust, for instance, due counter effects. *quick check* Seems I get ~630 FPS with 84 dogs in freezing arena, each in 1x1 box (yay gui/liquids plugin), ~556 with 84 unskilled naked dwarves - but 450 when I give them all-around skills and military outfit. [43.03]

..And when I compared various morningstar materials yesterday, I got 90 FPS after 87 omni-grandmaster dwarves and 81 bronze colossi were chilling in their 2x1 individual boxes after the fighting stopped (I had the water running, though it by it's lonesome couldn't dent 1000 FPS).

(Not sure what it is with no creatures, but over 1000, which is what I've set my cap at.)

Might as well upload the save, though I'm not curious enough atm.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:57:42 pm by Fleeting Frames »

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 08:26:28 pm »

Agree with pirate santa: 30 for a mature fort with 110 pop isn't terrible.

That said it's not the most fun either and there are some other things to look into.

How big is the world? Bigger worlds mean more events and figures.
How big is your embark? Local area size can have a huge impact. A 2x2 embark is 1/4 as much crap to track as the standard 4x4. (plants, animals, etc)
Are there lots of trees? Big, multi level, trees generate a lot of stuff that has to be kept up with.
Flowing liquids? Embarking with a river or running a mister doesn't help.

Honestly I'm just paraphrasing the wiki. Check that for a more comprehensive guide. Some of these things won't help you with the current fort but are worth keeping in mind.

Gelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 06:18:15 pm »

In one of my games there was a forgotten beast slowly tainting a water-filled cavern with either ice or its fluids. I didn't yet discover this cavern in my main save path. Yet I assume it lowered my FPS considerably. Just throwing my 5 cents in, FPS drop could be nothing to do  with your actions.