Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about room sizes and walls/windows.  (Read 479 times)

Sabruka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about room sizes and walls/windows.
« on: December 12, 2016, 01:16:49 pm »

I have a question regarding rooms. Suppose I have a trapped creature in a cage, and I designate a large area to be a zoo. If I subsequently surround the creature with walls or windows, would the room still extend past those walls? Or would it be "resized" to be contained within the walls?

Before walls, where X is the room area:
Code: [Select]
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXX‼XXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
After walls (O's), would it be:
XXXXXXX
XXOOOXX
XXO‼OXX
XXOOOXX
XXXXXXX
Or:

OOO 
  O‼O 
  OOO 

I know the room area still goes over the walls, but does the room *actually* extend beyond?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:23:07 pm by Sabruka »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about room sizes and walls/windows.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:54:52 pm »

Well, that depends on the purpose you are trying to achieve. The area will still be considered part of the room, but since dwarves can not stand in the walled-off area, that space won't be used for socializing. The contents of inaccessible areas of the room are still counted towards room value (from experience with statues in bedrooms), however dwarves which cannot get close to inaccessible furniture and creatures likely cannot admire them for happy thoughts. Altering the room size will remove the inaccessible areas, and they cannot be added back while they remain inaccessible.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 04:45:30 pm »

Walls and windows have two important distinctions here: Creatures can see stuff through windows (and also admire them), and buildingdestroyer creatures can go through your windows, were they to be released from cage.. That said, tested the requirement to get close to admire buildings with fortifications and a no-quality well for 3/4 a year:

No happy thoughts about furniture, when I've seen dwarves admire track stops. Though, that's just buildings - I expect mist, scary things and talking would be different.

Sabruka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 07:54:15 am »

Thanks everyone, I didn't think of windows... While I may trap building destroyers, they definitely won't be able to roam freely (tied to a chain maybe? we'll see... can building destroyers destroy their own shackles? we'll see).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 08:44:00 am »

Animal building destroyers can not destroy their chains. I had a chained goblin who went mad and tantrum-destroyed the chain, though, so dim-witted but still intelligent building destroyers may or may not be capable of going mad. They can't destroy their chain through the building destroyer mechanism while chained, though.