Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5.1 sound system problem in games  (Read 853 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
5.1 sound system problem in games
« on: December 28, 2016, 01:24:12 pm »

I've had the same Creative 5.1 speaker set for.....like almost 20 years now. Has generally worked with little problem.

Except in 2016. Recently I'd say about half the AAA games I've bought lately have screwed up voice overs and dialog when on 5.1 sound settings in Windows. Voice overs play so quietly I can't hear them, like they're playing at no volume on one of the side speakers. XCOM 2, Dragon's Dogma and now Dark Souls 3 have all shown this problem. (In Dragon's Dogma when I spin the camera I can hear the voice overs from NPCs in the world track across my speakers....so I know it's working.) Other sounds play as expected in 5.1, but no voices. I have to switch my setup to stereo to hear voice overs.

I've tested my speakers and they're all playing normally.

Anyone run into this issue? I've got the same Realtek HD Audio Manager that Windows ships with. Did gaming companies switch to a new codec or something recently?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: 5.1 sound system problem in games
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 09:10:26 pm »

Check for the "full range" checkbox in the settings pages where you select that it is 5.1 instead of stereo.

Only select full range on speakers that really are full range.