Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Windows stop Magma?  (Read 1550 times)

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Do Windows stop Magma?
« on: December 15, 2016, 03:04:11 am »

Just a simple question. I'm thinking of having a wall of Magma beside my forges and dining room, kept safely behind some windows. Coz it sounds cool.

I'm just worried they might melt. Am I right to be worried?

Edit: Just realised I should have put this in questions. I'm a goof, moving.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:10:46 am by King Kitteh »
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do Windows stop Magma?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:47:04 am »

Glass is magma safe, so glass windows should not be a problem. I don't know if gem materials affect gem windows, though.
Also note that building destroyers can destroy windows, so you shouldn't have the windows looking out into the magma sea.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 03:53:45 am »

Glass is magma safe, so glass windows should not be a problem. I don't know if gem materials affect gem windows, though.
Also note that building destroyers can destroy windows, so you shouldn't have the windows looking out into the magma sea.
Okay thanks for that  :)

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 05:48:34 am »

I believe tantruming dwarves can also destroy windows, so you might want to include some sort of failsafe (e.g. an emergency drain hatch in the magma reservoir, linked to a lever with magma-safe mechanisms) in order to minimise the risk of filling your fort up with magma.

Magma behind a window can be quite a nice trap for building destroyers, if accompanied by a way to stop it from escaping (like a magma-sensitive pressure plate). The building destroyer goes to smash the window, then gets incinerated by magma.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 06:16:52 am »

Pah! Fail safes?

Where's the !!FUN!! in that?

But yes, there will be fail safes... Except for in my nobles' bedrooms.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 07:34:24 am »

The fact that glass is magma safe isn't actually relevant, since that only matters if magma enters the same tile as the window, which it does not.

All windows are effectively magma-safe, for the same reason that all doors, regardless of material (including wood), are magma-safe as long as they are never opened.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 08:23:56 am »

Thanks for the clarification, Quietust.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 11:08:37 pm »

I believe tantruming dwarves can also destroy windows, so you might want to include some sort of failsafe (e.g. an emergency drain hatch in the magma reservoir, linked to a lever with magma-safe mechanisms) in order to minimise the risk of filling your fort up with magma.

I think windows into the magma sea is a cool idea.
Does anyone know if a grate in front of the window would work? I personally prefer passive fail-safes, so you don't have to be actively pay attention to ensure safety.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Specifically, will tantruming dwarves deconstruct grates, and will the three grates be enough to ensure no magma gets passed them into the room?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 04:49:16 pm »

Tantruming dwarves can't destroy fortifications, so perhaps consider those instead?

However, yeah, the magma should path downwards over sideways, given sufficiently fast drainage. That said, 1 tile falling seems random in time taken in arena testing - can be 5 steps, can be 35. The latter would possibly give enough time for magma to flow over.

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 06:33:53 pm »

Here's what I'd setup for magma windows:

++_PWB^
++_PWB^
++_PWB^
++_PWB^

+ = Floor
_ = Channel down (plus bridge on z-level below), plus grates.
P = Pressure plate keyed to liquids, cooked up to bridge shutter
W = window
B = 'Shutter' bridge (Yx1 raises to the window side, where Y is however long you want your window)
^ = The lip where you channel down to release magma on this z-level

Shutter bridge activates if the window is broken, cutting off further flow. (Use magma safe mechanisms and mats!) Channel beyond them redirects momentary magma flow to help minimize damage. Ditch contains a magma-safe bridge hooked to a level that can drain/atom smash magma away.

Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."