Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Resetting a World?  (Read 492 times)

dleave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Resetting a World?
« on: December 13, 2016, 08:38:37 pm »

I was wondering if there was a way to reset a world?  I like my map, and I especially like the area I started my fortress at, but I don't like what I actually did with the fortress.  I was wondering if there was a way to start in the exact same spot, but without having all the work I did on the first fortress, be saved?  A clean slate so to speak.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Resetting a World?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 08:45:38 pm »

Using the same settings and world seed, you should be able to regenerate the exact same world. Unfortunately, there are a few reports that it doesn't always generate exactly the same, but it's a good start. In the future, you can copy the region folder prior to embark to save a "backup" copy if you want. (The backup can be used for Legends lookups, resets, etc.)

dleave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:03:30 pm »

Thanks much

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:51:30 pm »

In case you don't know how to get the exact parameters and seed, just load the world in Legends mode and press "p" to "export map/gen info" and it'll output a "regionX-world_gen_param.txt" file which you can merge into data/init/world_gen.txt and select from "Design New World with Advanced Parameters".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

dleave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 11:07:13 pm »

Great, thanks for the info.