Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fuel Problems  (Read 2620 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Problems
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 02:13:39 am »

Wood already can be turned into fuel.

I think he meant a plant that can be turned into wood.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 05:06:31 am »

Honestly, I think lignite, bituminous coal and charcoal should have multiple items made from a single raw resource. Fuel is way too scarce and magma is something way too many players are forced to go for. Having each wood log produce 2 charcoal, or each bit of coal produce two coke, would be great! Someone stick that in the suggestions forum!
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 05:10:36 am »

i think the best solution would be to throw a couple of nobles on the fire.

And they're own self of self satisfaction give the forge a nice pine smell.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 05:18:54 am »

That would work just as well, yes. ^_^

Well, it wouldn't provide the carbon you'd need for pig iron... But I'm sure dwarves could figure out how to extract the carbon from carbon-based lifeforms.

Assuming dwarves are actually carbon based and not, you know, sillicon based. Or STONE based. (Which would make more sense)

Alcohol based...?
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 05:31:49 am »

Beard based.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 07:27:54 am »

Has anyone else had any interesting experiences on fuel limited maps? 
Fuel IS a problem.  I'd probably do one of two things:

1)  If you have an underground lake, grow tower-caps.  En masse.  It'll take a while to get up and running, but it'll be really cool and definitely keep your dwarves fully occupied.
2) If you don't, or don't want to wait, consider cheating in some magma.  This depends on the nature of the game you want to play...
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 07:28:27 am »

I had a fort once with magma, 12 fuel veins and 3 magnetite clusters.

However, even after digging out 2 coal veins and a lignite vein, i had almost 1000 coke.... You can do a lot with that much.
Magma is overrated.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 08:44:10 pm »

sure, but farmable plants cannot be processed into wood.

(EDIT: doh, didn't notice page 2)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:27:58 pm by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 09:30:16 pm »

Having each wood log produce 2 charcoal, or each bit of coal produce two coke, would be great!

Each bit of coal already does produce more than one coke. A chunk of bituminous coal produces three cokes (for a net gain of two, if you're using wood to burn it), while lignite produces two cokes (for a net gain of one).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 01:47:28 pm »

Hmmmm, still doing the exploratory mining, but no luck so far.  No sign of an underground water source, although I did find a chasm.  With any luck, I'll find out if the traders will bring sufficient amounts of fuel and wood when I play tonight.  I'll let you all know. 

I wonder if surface trees can be farmed by muddying areas.  This map doesn't have a huge number of trees and a bunch of areas are rocky surfaces.  Anyone know if putting mud on the surface will cause surface trees to grow like tower caps underground?  If it works, I could increase the potential area where trees could grow outside. 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 02:54:20 pm »

If you want to increase the amount of coke produced by lignite and coal, you can do that in the reactions_standard file. As stated before, it's already 3 for coal and 2 for lignite. Might be worth bumping it up to 6 and 4 to reduce the out of fuel problem. That or go into the stone raws and make them large clusters instead of veins.

I'm actually having that issue on my current map. It's got tons of trees, so I at least have a renewable source of charcoal, but I've pretty much burned through all my coal and lignite already (3 coal veins and 3 lignite) and it's only year 5.

Granted, I've had a thriving Steel, Platinum, and gold industry. But, still, disappointing to realize that even if I find a few more veins hidden around, I'll still be all out of coal in under 10 years.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 03:25:44 pm »

Removing all of the limitations would take the fun/challenge out of the game. Having to work towards getting all the better steel-based equipment makes it that much more satisfying when you finally get results. So instead of worrying about a shortage of fuel at some point in time, how about taking a couple of peasants and getting them to work non-stop producing charcoal so you'll have some when the time arrives? ;)

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 06:54:58 pm »

I wish you could burn wood products. I once accidentally left R on for wood tables. I had a lovely standing-only dining room, no beds, and a High master Carpenter.

Burning wood stuff makes perfect sense.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 07:52:05 pm »

You can burn wood products.

Just dump them into magma.

And no, that wasn't helpful in the slightest.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: 1 [2]