Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Hello, I have questions.  (Read 13369 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I have questions.
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2016, 09:40:57 am »

More likely they climbed up due birds and couldn't get down.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2016, 09:43:05 am »

There were emu bodies up there as well, thought they may have been brought in with the migrants.  I ordered the trees cut down all the same.

BTW, I tried to make a QS for mechanisms but the thing didnt work at all, all my other QSs work, Its set up right, just not working.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:54:15 pm by JimmyAgent007 »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2016, 04:13:28 pm »

Mechanisms will behave the same in QS. What is it doing that is different from your other QS?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2016, 04:22:26 pm »

The only thing you can have trouble with is stockpile-owned bins and barrels and perhaps wheelbarrows. You can QS mechanisms, I just did in my last fort. Refer to troubleshooting.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2016, 09:55:52 am »

OK, will have to redo it all when I get a chance.

Is there a DF hack command or something that unlocks all the items for embark?  So if I wanted to start with anything in the game after giving myself millions of points?  I want to try a sandbox game for making a sort of webcomic and dont want to leave some things to random chance and just bring them with me.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2016, 10:22:26 am »

Is there a DF hack command or something that unlocks all the items for embark?  So if I wanted to start with anything in the game after giving myself millions of points?  I want to try a sandbox game for making a sort of webcomic and dont want to leave some things to random chance and just bring them with me.
You can change the number of points on embark through the corresponding advanced world gen parameter. Apart from that, I'm doing some hacking to give me access to all kinds of plants that potentially are available on an embark at it. You could also change the RAWs for animals you want to make them domestic, but I don't think that would make all of them available on embark. It may or may not be possible to hack those in as well. I don't know how you'd do it with minerals, but setting the metal scarcity to 0 ought to allow the dorfs access to most or all metals on embark.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2016, 10:33:50 am »

DFHack allows me to set the points to what I want, also number of dwarfs, but I didnt think about the metal scarcity.  So just finding an embark with NO metals either deep or shallow will work?  Or do I need to tweak some files?

How do you tell how flat the terrain is before embark?  It always ends up being so hilly for me.  Alternatively a sheer cliff would be nice.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:27:44 pm by JimmyAgent007 »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2016, 04:12:44 pm »

Advanced world gen uses the file <df>\data\init\world_gen.txt to specify world gen parameters. One of these is embark points, another is metal scarcity. A high value means metal is scarce, so I assume you want to set it to zero.
On the pre embark screen, where you select where to settle down, you can use <TAB> to change between views, and two of those are of use. One is altitude (I think) and the other one is the gradient. You'll want a gradient of 0 on all your embark tiles and preferably on the ones surrounding them to get a perfectly flat embark (pools and streams not counted).

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2016, 09:58:29 am »

Like Patrik pointed out, you can increase the number of points on embark in custom world generation, as well as dialing mineral scarcity way down. If you aren't opposed to a bit of minor tweaking, you can try manually editing the entity_default file by adding [USE_ANY_PET_RACE], [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS], [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS], and [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] to the dwarven entity raws (dwarves are the first entity listed, and you should be able to put these arguments pretty much anywhere). At that point, once you generate a new world, you should have more animals available (and if you increased the number of embark points available, you'll be able to buy plenty of them). Before fiddling with raws, I might suggest backing up the original copy so that when you're done you don't need to sift through lines of code to return it to normal.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2016, 07:21:44 pm »

Thanks for helping with the TAB option so I can see the heightmap.  Makes things easier, funny thing tho, the first map I had when I was just getting back into this was perfect...

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2016, 01:07:32 am »

If you're not too worried about being cheaty, there are commands in DFHack that will alter the stone in a vein or layer. So if, for example, you have what you think is an all-around perfect embark, but you don't have any iron-bearing ore, you can find a vein of useless stone (like colbaltite) and change it to hematite instead. You can do the same for flux-capable layer stone, but keep in mind that ALL stone in that layer, including across multiple z-levels, will change to that stone type.
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2016, 09:47:43 pm »

whats that command?  I was looking through the DF hack pdf and didnt see that.  might have missed it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2016, 11:05:46 pm »

Ctrl+F vein on dfhack plugin page: https://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html#changevein

Of course, if you're doing that you can as well do createitem BOULDER HEMATITE 100, createitem BAR STEEL 400 or further along that route.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2016, 12:57:42 pm »

Neato, this will come in handy.

Ive been having fun with the 'reveal' and 'unreveal' commands.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]