Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gremlin uses  (Read 499 times)

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gremlin uses
« on: December 04, 2016, 08:55:16 am »

Do they keep up their lever pulling and such after you train them, or would it be better to just lock it untrained in a room if I wanted one to pull random levers? Im thinking of using it to control access into my base via a maze. Also, i see something about they become hunters. Are they actually any good at that? They seem rather small to be of much use in that.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gremlin uses
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:21:17 am »

Ah, the Gremlins!
- They cease to pull levers when trained. Thus, if you want a "random lever puller" you need to refrain from training them. Note that any "free" untrained critters will count as one group from the cavern they came from, thus blocking appearance of a new group.
- They take control of doors they pass through while trained, thus making it impossible to lock them without first having a dorf "reclaim" it. A pet locked door will still remain pet locked, though.
- They are too small to wear clothes for any critter. I double their size so they can wear kobold clothes (which you can manufacture).
- They're too small to use shields because their weight slows them down. Kobold size gremlins can wield Kobold knives (which you can't get hold of in any other way than to liberate them from Kobolds).
- They petition to become citizens after a while. They become hunters a little before that. I don't do hunting, so I can't comment on that.
- When citizens they can be given any job through DT, but not the vanilla interface.
- You can't see their thoughts, so they can issue mandates you can't find out what they are if appointed nobles (this was valid in 0.40.24 as well).
- Citizen Gremlins still need retraining, and that's a major hassle as they're extremely sluggish at showing up for training. I use DFHack to set them to fully tame when they become citizens to work around that bug.
They claim rooms as residents/citizens, and have been seen to pick up trinkets just like dorfs.

As far as I understand, any "wild" animal people behave like gremlins if they're modded to have the PET_EXOTIC tag.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gremlin uses
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:06:32 am »

Ah, the Gremlins!
- They cease to pull levers when trained. Thus, if you want a "random lever puller" you need to refrain from training them. Note that any "free" untrained critters will count as one group from the cavern they came from, thus blocking appearance of a new group.
- They take control of doors they pass through while trained, thus making it impossible to lock them without first having a dorf "reclaim" it. A pet locked door will still remain pet locked, though.
- They are too small to wear clothes for any critter. I double their size so they can wear kobold clothes (which you can manufacture).
- They're too small to use shields because their weight slows them down. Kobold size gremlins can wield Kobold knives (which you can't get hold of in any other way than to liberate them from Kobolds).
- They petition to become citizens after a while. They become hunters a little before that. I don't do hunting, so I can't comment on that.
- When citizens they can be given any job through DT, but not the vanilla interface.
- You can't see their thoughts, so they can issue mandates you can't find out what they are if appointed nobles (this was valid in 0.40.24 as well).
- Citizen Gremlins still need retraining, and that's a major hassle as they're extremely sluggish at showing up for training. I use DFHack to set them to fully tame when they become citizens to work around that bug.
They claim rooms as residents/citizens, and have been seen to pick up trinkets just like dorfs.

As far as I understand, any "wild" animal people behave like gremlins if they're modded to have the PET_EXOTIC tag.
Sounds like not the best candidate for a trap control room, i could probably just use an animal and pressure plates with far less effort.