Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Strange Idea for a Lovecraftian mod  (Read 849 times)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Strange Idea for a Lovecraftian mod
« on: November 17, 2016, 07:24:10 pm »

An idea I have been mulling over recently in a modded dwarf fortress set on the ancient earth populated by the races of the Cthulhu mythos.
you'll probably play as either

Spoiler: Elder Things (click to show/hide)
or
I'm also considering the
Spoiler: The Great Race of Yith (click to show/hide)
but they would be much harder and i cant think of a way of doing there swapping minds with future beings thing.
hostile races could include primitive races(basically animal men), deep ones, rebellious shagoths, The Flying Polyps and The Star Spawn of Cthulhu.
weapons could be interesting I imagine the elder things would be excellent wrestlers.
I could make flavored weapons similar to vanilla ones for melee.
For ranged weapons there is a bit to go on in the mythos i remember lightning guns being mentioned which i presume I could do with DF-hack. Also i believe I could make sonic weapons which could basically be blunt ranged weapons.
I was also thinking because of the different races anatomy i could split the weapon skills into say 3 groups with humanoidish creatures getting access to say sword, maces, spears and bow skill
while the Great Race and Elder things could get axes, hammers, pikes and xbows
primitive races could get lasher, knife user and blow gun
each group would get a penalty when learning weapons belonging to other groups
Armour would be more interesting and mostly made up, i do remember reading something about the fungi from Yugoth having armour of some saught.
Other features could include making shagoths to preform basic labor and act as solders
Communing with elder gods principally Yog-Suthoth and Nyarlithotep this could be a fairly random set of reactions that could ever give you boons or lead to !Fun! it could even lead to a Dunwich horror style event where you can either end up with one of your creatures becoming extremely powerful and useful or basically spawning a semi mega beast in the middle of your fort.
I'll probably have to replace most animals with more primitive animals(hopefully i'll be able to beg steal and borrow from what the community has already made) to fit the time period.
I'll also have to spend a lot of time making the weird body plans and might try making one or two later tonight.
I have no idea how far i'll get with this and might barely start or i might make it pretty deep and would appreciate any suggestions, comments, advice, ideas and help in any form         

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Re: A Strange Idea for a Lovecraftian mod
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 11:22:12 pm »

There was a Lovecraftian-inspired mod, but I forgot its name.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:51:51 pm »

I think this is what you're thinking of. It's for 34.11 though.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84348.0
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:03:52 pm »

I've done body plans for the yithians and elder things. Thanks for the link I'll have a look at how they did some things for ideas but looking over it my idea is reasonably different but it will good to see how they did some body plans and such

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 09:44:53 pm »

There will be some differences due to being an older version of course. There will be no gaits or attack flags for example.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!