Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [OOC] Byntanium: Echoes of Myth (Recruiting)  (Read 736 times)

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
[OOC] Byntanium: Echoes of Myth (Recruiting)
« on: November 19, 2016, 03:31:34 pm »

Byntanium: Echoes of Myth

Once, the three livable planets of the Ocon System called the megacorporations master. The governments choked on their own arrogance, drowned by debt and outclassed by the immense resources of the CEOs and their System Trust. People suffered or masked their suffering with excess and depravity, most seen as lubricant for the economic machine. The worlds became the field for a game of supreme risk and skill, where suits ran shadow governments and orchestrated peerless hordes of paramilitary strength and corporate espionage to no other end but profit.

Above the wretches, and far below crime lords and executives, the sellswords of the binary system acted as unique pieces in this game. They skulked where the spies dare not lurk, killed who mercenaries couldn’t, and swindled as fiercely as the very suits that paid them. It was, perhaps, the best life one could earn. These sellswords used the magic of a bygone age or advanced weaponry that supplanted it to fight at the behest of these megacorps. The two forces, tech and magic, seldom mixed. The time would come, though, that these disparate spheres of mundane advancement and otherworldly energy would face one another. And it would be more spectacular than any imagined.

An artifact, thought to be one of many from far-gone eras of sword and sorcery, would rend the fabric of reality, uniting the realm of the mundane with the hidden mystic world. Quite literally. A sword, recovered first by a megacorp, and then stolen by a group of sellswords, had a mind and mission. Imprisoned in this form, the sword used intellect beyond measure and keen insight into the greed of man to plunge into the heart of what was thought to be a common man. This man, life beyond any value, descended from a near godlike wizard of immense power. Centuries prior, he severed the two worlds and ended the age of magic, ushering in an age of mundane invention. The transcendent power of the relic utterly destroyed the wizard, his unfortunate descendant, and all in between. The ancient sword, its duty done, reversed the work of the wizard, and in doing so, reawakened the mythic world and returned surreal myth to the worlds once more.

The ensuing marriage of advanced technologies and mythic magic brought a new age to the worlds of the Ocon System. Byntanium ore, the same kind the sword was forged from, appeared in great clusters on all worlds. The megacorps scrambled to harvest this extraordinary resource; a metal of unparalleled properties, humming with magical energies, and utterly essential to the next age of growth. Ironically, this revolution would prove more a curse than a blessing to the very megacorps that pioneered it. Their vicegrip on the whole of society loosened for the first time in generations, a gap that grew wider with the resurgence an elite caste of magic users.

On an even larger scale, this disparity in power between two sides of the same coin, magic and technology, created a phenomenon known as the Mythic Scale. At one end, sober suits and packed megaplexes of people organized neatly into their own cubbies, and at the other end, wild individuals bent on glory and wonder, inebriated with cosmic power and individual might. On one end, the mechanical cities functioned much the same as the time before byntanium, emphasizing technology and unity. On the other end, surreal organizations of magicians controlled arcades sculpted from magical energy and the lauded ore, leading societies of ardent individualists and regressives.

Perhaps the most pertinent evolution, at least to the sellswords, was the introduction of echoes. All beings, sentient and otherwise, were found to exist in both the mundane and mythic world. These mythic counterparts were named echoes. However, some beings boasting honoured lineage, strange luck, or hard earned skill gained a special, more malleable and significant counterpart, called an ante echo, or ante for short. Unlike normal echoes, antes had their own evolving personality, reflective of past lives, hidden thoughts, secret desires, or a mix of all three. These antes afforded the mundane partner not only unique interaction with the mythic world, but supernatural hardiness and power in their own world.

This, ultimately, meant the end for sellswords as the primary weapon for megacorps. After all, why hire mortal talent when you can have a hero and a half on your side? Antes quickly gained a reputation for being expensive, infamously headstrong, and fickle.

So, in this new age of byntanium, megacorps fight to regain their unquestioned rule, individuals of heroic stature fight for lofty ideals, and the everyman is caught in between. As for the antes? They fall in line with whatever side can afford them.

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Who am I? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 04:05:43 pm by Silcugar »
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lore

Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nature (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:37:52 pm by Silcugar »

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserved

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] Byntanium: Echoes of Myth (Recruiting)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 06:15:18 pm »

In. Gimme a bit to make my character.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 06:51:35 pm »

I'd be willing to play; however I would not be willing to create a character for this to only have a chance of being accepted. Send me a PM if the game doesn't get much attention and you are prepared to offer a guaranteed position.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 07:23:35 pm »

Don't have time to make my char tonight.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 08:41:40 pm »

Tell me if anything is off on my character list. I'm not sure about the spells and the Ante personality, if they're what you had in mind.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 08:41:28 pm »

Maybe the text is a bit much on this one... Or it needs some refinement? Might have to shelve it for another day.

Hopeful bump.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 09:01:35 pm »

Working on mine right now. Should have it done in the next hour or so.

Glory to United Forenia!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 09:54:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I'm done.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:24:56 pm by S34N1C »

Glory to United Forenia!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 05:21:00 pm »

Bump?

Glory to United Forenia!