Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Class Workers  (Read 654 times)

DaSwayza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lower Class Workers
« on: November 13, 2016, 11:29:21 am »

So it's been fought over, prayed over with elf's blood, you get the picture, Dwarves don't keep slaves as a standard. Fair enough. So my situation is that I like legacy games, long-term games requiring you to grow your population the hard way, and places a lot of emphasis and value on dwarven skill and prowess. This would be enhanced further by a lower class creature, like a plump helmet man or "half-elf" (dregs of society, because I mean seriously, who would have sex with an elf?) who could do menial things like hauling, basic masonry (like block building), things like that. Any advice on making this happen?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Lower Class Workers
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 12:28:08 pm »

Thats pretty easy to do, with dfhacks script "create-unit". You'd need to make the creature and a reaction to spawn it... since dwarves dont keep slaves, as you say, you could make a mechanical unit/helper. It could have very low skill-learn-rates and be physically weak, so you dont abuse it as soldier.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DaSwayza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lower Class Workers
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 10:46:02 pm »

Meph, my favorite DF resource! I would love to, but is there any way to avoid DFHack until it's updated? Maybe if I can manually create a creature that can do these things? There would be no real way to control their numbers if they spawn as citizens, you'd just get a random mix bag if it's even possible, which means you'd have to purchase them as "pets" from embark and caravans... thus rounding back to the slavery thing. I think why they don't take slaves by nature is because that would make them inherently evil, and they aren't supposed to be. Although I don't mind them being resourceful to the point of using inferior races as menial laborers to achieve their goals, it's up to each individual player to decide if this particular group of dwarves will be evil or not. Otherwise, I'd say screw it and just have straight up slaves of some race or another. One of the first thing I did in the old 34 Masterwork back in the day is my Baron had elven slave girls kept in his Golden Tower, but that's just me lol. Sorry for rambling, you are literally my hero when it comes to altering this game.