Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An observation on the nature of Fortress Defense civs  (Read 999 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An observation on the nature of Fortress Defense civs
« on: November 15, 2016, 06:04:37 am »

I've been playing adventure mode a lot and this just sort of occurred to me. A lot of the higher level fortress defense civs are comprised of rather powerful individuals with custom made bodyparts (Furies have steelfeather instead of normal flesh, beakwolves have fiendscale (I think that's the name), fiend spiders have fiend plate, ect). Now, a lot of these can only be reliably handled by an adventurer in steel gear or by a pretty developed fortress, which leads me to come to another observation. When Dwarf Fortress starts fleshing out military campaigns and massive battles occur past world gen (battles the player could participate in), these creatures will probably easily overpower the armies of most other civs. Furies for example, essentially have biological steel armor, and don't need to eat or sleep, and furthermore may not even age. They'll wipe the floor with most other nations if any are near them. Same with a few other species. Because wars are all processed in the background in this version, its not really a problem. But once wars start becoming more detailed, something's gonna need to be done to address this or these civs will consistently genocide their neighbors. And that isn't necessarily a good or bad thing but it will certainly shake up the world map and there may as well be a plan for it now. But its late so sorry if I articulated this poorly.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: An observation on the nature of Fortress Defense civs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 06:23:59 am »

I dont think thats an issue. They already did that in older DF versions and the civs are purposely build overpowered. If you want to use them and still have all the other civs intact, you can always use a very short history.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 06:39:57 am »

I dont think thats an issue. They already did that in older DF versions and the civs are purposely build overpowered. If you want to use them and still have all the other civs intact, you can always use a very short history.

I'm aware they're meant to be overpowered on purpose, but that can be limiting in its own way, since it guarantees that certain civs end up at the top of the food chain in every world rather than having the civilizations organically evolve off of one another as dominance is established. However, maybe that isn't a concern for most people, so I'll just edit the raws for my own game myself.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 09:16:22 am »

Since seiges no longer just appear out of thin air, there's certainly a need to make sure they survive worldgen and don't wipe out all the lesser civs. A short world history will help with that.

Funnily enough, I've found most of the fortress defense civs do poorly in worldgen. Which is a problem because what I really want them to do is breed like crazy to provide endless cannon fodder. Or at least not be relegated to 60 pops sitting in one hillocks while boring vanilla goblins number in the thousands with enough dark pits to blot out the landscape. But then it might be just due to the extreme arctic or dessert worlds I prefer.

I've been modding them myself to give them their own biome niches (as well as playing with their ethics and flavor to my liking, my badgermen are now mountain dwelling elf sympathizers!). I'm not using anywhere near all of them though.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 06:46:13 pm »

Preparing for Shieldgates i messed around quite a lot with worldgen and i can assure you all physical traits are completely useless in worldgen. Basically the best placed civ will overpower all those around and crush them. The only thing i noticed is that sheer size may sometimes play a role as elephants and jotuns happen to stomp the other civs more often