Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coliseum help  (Read 744 times)

Xeno_Sandbox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Coliseum help
« on: November 14, 2016, 03:33:28 pm »

I need ideas and help, I want to make a pit or arena where I can put my dwarfs against animals and invaders, but I have no clue how to get animals into cages or how to get them out in a way that they can't escape, but I do know I will use a retractable bridge as a seal for the pit and then open the other one which should be a pit on the other side to see the two fight.

A few questions

If I put weapons around on the ground will.goblins and other hostile humanoids use them.

Is there any way to get two dwarves to fight.

What's a good way to get hostiles into cages as soon as possible I really want to make an embark solely for this.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Coliseum help
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 04:11:02 pm »

well, to get hostiles into cages you can use cage traps, those will catch anything that dosnt have the [TRAP_AVOID] tag

try placing a few of them in a 1 wide hallway leading into your fort, and into the caverns.

note that you should make the cages out of metal if possible, some creatures can escape wooden cages
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 04:21:03 pm »

The simply way to get hostiles out of a cage with no risk of escape is to use a mine cart shotgun and a fortification. Unfortunately it has a high fatality and injury rate for the hostiles. It's how I've disposed of sieges since time imemorial.
The way to make dwarves fight is to provoke a controlled loyalty cascade. The way I would set about doing this is using trained enemy mounts. They can be bred ad infinitum (although you probably need a cage because trained mounts attack their own babies on birth). Make dwarf a) attack the mount, then attack dwarf a) with dwarf b) once he is declared an enemy of the state. Be sure to have a mechanical way of killing whatever dwarf remains afterwards.

Hostiles will not pick up weapons on the ground. They can only gain items while wrestling.

If you want hostiles from day 1 embark on a terrifying biome near a populated dark fortress. If you survive long enough to get underground and lay down traps you'like have all kinds of things In cages to fight
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Xeno_Sandbox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 04:34:13 pm »

Does DF have a discord? and how close to gobos do I need to embark to get sieges. And the like/ also you can order dwarves to attack visitors could I use that in some way.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 04:38:18 pm »

Does DF have a discord? and how close to gobos do I need to embark to get sieges. And the like/ also you can order dwarves to attack visitors could I use that in some way.

whats a discord? you mean like john de lance in MLP?

also if you press tab on the embark screen a few times you will see the neighbors panel, it will tell you everything thats within range of you.
if you see goblins on that screen, they are close enough to attack you
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Xeno_Sandbox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 04:45:03 pm »

Discord is like team speak but more streamlined free without adds, it's what ss13 and other groups use instead of or with forums. Google it

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 02:06:24 am »

I recommend you use don't drop them down from bridges, unless not otherwise possible - this will throw them around and injure them. 

For buffing opponents and cool animals, if you embark in evil biome you can get husking. Also, try to go for savage tropicals for biggest animals (though bears in temperate and tundra are also pretty neat).

If you embarked on ocean coast, an unusual option would be to try to capture some whales or sea monsters and perhaps husk or reanimate them, or otherwise fight in 4-6/7 water (note that getting sea wildlife to appear is a small project in itself).

As far as procedural creatures go, you can increase titans numbers, but this tends to kill civilizations. FBs are generated 1 per underground region, however, so more caverns and larger worlds have more of them.

As for chats, for general DF talk, yes there is - on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/

See the right pane. Not sure what discord's business model is, however.