Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Discrimination (racism, sexism etc.)  (Read 1777 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discrimination (racism, sexism etc.)
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 06:25:25 am »

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm just saying people will find new things to be dicks to each other about. Sure, we should strive for tolerance, but we also face the risk of a sort of "white list" of things we're supposed to tolerate, and if you're not on that list, people are free to be a asshole to you.

I've seen that already with e.g. a college professor I had who's all high and mighty about LGBT, race, sexism, but he acts like a total asshole and belittles students in his class based on basically any identity trait he can that aren't on the list (e.g. ridiculing peoples subculture identity in front of the whole class, because subculture isn't a "protected" trait). e.g. this guy's clearly a total asshole, but he hides behind a self-righteousness facade, which is entirely based on doctrinal stuff, and not based on generally trying to be a nice person. I mean, no you don't get to call yourself "tolerant" because you support safe-spaces / trigger warnings for LGBT, race and gender, but then mock people about how they dress or what music they listen to, if it's some other minority that's not one of those things.

So what I'm saying is I've seen very rude and divisive behavior from people who pay lip service to a sort of minimum-spec tolerance, then pat themselves on the back for being better than everyone else. It makes me think we might well stamp out racism but different types of xenophobia / intolerance replace them. We see that from both right and left wing types too. Think about the frothing levels of hate between liberals and conservatives. As blacks have become mainstream, and even most educated conservatives wouldn't dream of publicly attacking black people, then you see the same or worse sort of hatred shift to a different identity trait. Except this time, it's two-sided, because political opinion isn't a protected trait we're supposed to be tolerant about. e.g. intolerance can flow freely from both right and left, as long as it's not on "the list" of things which it is taboo not to tolerate.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 06:37:34 am by Reelya »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 06:34:38 am »

And I think if I ran that along the tumblrites I knew they'd still consider him an asshole. It's not like people aren't ever going to take advantage of being self righteous twats, but I'm not sure of anyone who would give them a free pass. And honestly, if you watched most any episode of Friends, more or less being gay was one of the things that was on that "white list" of things you could make fun of. It's not now. As with all things this stuff moves forward.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 06:42:03 am »

But we seem good at finding new things to form cliques over and to hate the other cliques for.

Look at how people on both sides label those who voted for the other candidate as automatically the worst scum on the planet. The type of language used is every bit as virulent as racially-charged language could get.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 06:46:55 am by Reelya »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 07:06:10 am »

Uh, prolly not the best example to give to me, given that I do actually know of someone who was beaten badly enough to be sent to the emergency room by a trump voter, and I'm not talking right off the news or anything. Sister's neighbor was beaten senseless for being an arab by a Trump voter, so yeah.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 08:21:07 am »

But if I said "I was mugged by a black person therefore don't tell me about black people" that's not dissimilar to the sentiment you're expressing. All Trump voters are suspects because of that one. Guilt by association etc, stereotyping an out-group. It's a similar process. After all, how many millions of people voted Trump? D'ya think they're all scum because of that one incident?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 09:43:53 am »

Orange, meet apple. What qualifies someone to be a mugger is is to rob someone with a violent threat. What qualifies someone to be black is well, being black. It's really not unreasonable to draw a connection between trump's proposed policies during an election season and the actions of his supporters, since being a trump supporter doesn't require one to be violent or break the law. It requires approval of his policies or attitudes, which is something that would affect how one behaves.

And then we have this sorta stuff going on.

After all, how many millions of people voted Trump? D'ya think they're all scum because of that one incident?
Comes to about 1/4 eligible voters voting for a man who among other things has a vice president who supports conversion therapy and drafted a bill making applying for marriage illegal if you are entering a gay marriage. Who until after the election had promised to deny entry to Muslims, and then reinstated it.

So yeah, it's fair game to judge a person if they hold beliefs that I am in some way subhuman and dangerous. It's also fair game for me to judge people that support such people with those beliefs. And I am really not going to want to trust someone if that was all I knew about that, because it's not insignificant that a loud and proud trump supporter supports those policies. I have my own safety to look out for, and while I don't believe that all trump supporters are violent, what we do believe are what drives us to act.
Pages: 1 [2]