Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Three Fortresses lost to undead heads  (Read 1385 times)

Stevesciguy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Three Fortresses lost to undead heads
« on: November 10, 2016, 09:25:54 pm »

So, I started playing df one or two months ago, and have recently decided to take on the bigger challenge of evil biomes. However, at each fortress I've tried, it ends with all my dorfs fighting themselves to death with invincible heads. I tried embarking with a mace or hammer dwarf instead, but my miners will go on and decapitate the reanimated wildlife. Most recently, the skin of the head of a llama (not all of the skin, just the head) reanimated. I was going to try dfhack and just delete the offending heads from existence, but there isn't a version for 43.05 yet. Is the any other way I can deal with them? Thanks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Three Fortresses lost to undead heads
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:58:41 pm »

Civilian alert and abandoning an expendable dwarf as military to keep it from following. Cage traps. Chained-up live baits and locking doors in drop zone as timing fits, keeping them entombed forever. Cave-ins. Physical separation. Magma. Icing. Obsidanizing. Atomsmashing.

And of course once your macedwarves pulp something it stays pulped. Though this doesn't work for butchered hairs, so meat industry is somewhat harder on those forts.

There is a dfhack alpha out, but not sure it supports exterminate.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:00:29 am by Fleeting Frames »

DiacetylMorphine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 06:36:11 am »

hey, i used to play on evil biomes and most of the tricks i learned come from "furnace clan" (a series you can find on youtube).

First, if you don't have one, you need a pit with magma at the bottom. either by digging all the way down, or by getting magma up. in any cases it's best to have upright spears at the bottom. Now you can have you dump zone to throw stuff in the pit. that should take care of severed limbs before they res up. (you need to be quick with the dumping.)

You also need to favour hammers, maces and spears for extreme cases. avoiding severed limbs is best.

(btw if it's not clear enough you should seal up your dworf right after embarking)

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 07:49:38 pm »

hey, i used to play on evil biomes and most of the tricks i learned come from "furnace clan" (a series you can find on youtube).

First, if you don't have one, you need a pit with magma at the bottom. either by digging all the way down, or by getting magma up. in any cases it's best to have upright spears at the bottom. Now you can have you dump zone to throw stuff in the pit. that should take care of severed limbs before they res up. (you need to be quick with the dumping.)

You also need to favour hammers, maces and spears for extreme cases. avoiding severed limbs is best.

(btw if it's not clear enough you should seal up your dworf right after embarking)

Fun fact: zombie alpaca skin is magma-proof. If you pit it into a volcano it will survive the magma, survive impact with semi-molten rock, and crawl around down there burning forever but not dying. The only way to get it to stop smoking and probably eating FPS is to drop a cave-in down the volcano on top of it.

You can build an atom-smasher but that won't smash skins of really big creatures. Cave-ins or obsidianizing are the only sure kills.

Dwarves attacking a skin are not that bad. I've used them as training dummies. Deactivate the squad and create a burrow that doesn't include the skin, and then it follows your retreating dwarves over a cage trap.

Visitors attacking a skin are bad, and will surround and punch a zombie skin forever while ignoring orders. The solution is to design your fort so that butchering happens far, far away from common areas and right next to your cave-in/magma disposal system.

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 08:15:38 pm »

I recall zombies used to be magma-proof with DF2014 release, but that was changed.

Of course, certain more exotic zombies ought to be still fine in it.

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 08:28:31 pm »

I was going to try dfhack and just delete the offending heads from existence, but there isn't a version for 43.05 yet.
Just FYI, there is a dfhack for 05, but it's an alpha and can be a bit unstable. Link
Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 08:38:02 pm »

As Fleeting Flames stated, zombies used to be magma proof, but I've never seen one survive post-DF2014. They seem to not be injured by standing in a wild fire you light in adventure mode, however.

Stevesciguy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 06:06:18 pm »

Civilian alert and abandoning an expendable dwarf as military to keep it from following. Cage traps. Chained-up live baits and locking doors in drop zone as timing fits, keeping them entombed forever. Cave-ins. Physical separation. Magma. Icing. Obsidanizing. Atomsmashing.

And of course once your macedwarves pulp something it stays pulped. Though this doesn't work for butchered hairs, so meat industry is somewhat harder on those forts.

There is a dfhack alpha out, but not sure it supports exterminate.

I tried civilian alerts, as well as move orders for soldiers, and they were all ignored. It didn't help that the heads were often either inside the fortress or directly adjacent to the entrance.

Stevesciguy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 06:08:55 pm »

I was going to try dfhack and just delete the offending heads from existence, but there isn't a version for 43.05 yet.
Just FYI, there is a dfhack for 05, but it's an alpha and can be a bit unstable. Link

Weird that I missed that, usually I'm a bit more observant. Think I might give it try, as the sites I had were pretty nice, aside from the constant death threats from giant fire fly corpses.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 07:14:37 pm »

Move orders are not gonna work if there's an enemy right there.

Civilian alert must be done on civilians, not military. But if that doesn't work, fall back to other options. Sadly, you're not the first to report it failing to work, though it does work for some.