Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mumuz d' Nökor Gusheds- Crypt of the Dead Fortresses  (Read 787 times)

Valdus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Blog "Scrawls"
Mumuz d' Nökor Gusheds- Crypt of the Dead Fortresses
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:18:46 am »

The following is a recording of the fortresses which have died in my game. I have learned quickly that if a fortress dies, you learn and you try another. At this point not sure if it will be in character or not. I more than invite anyone to put advice into the thread to succeed in the next fortress.

The first to be abandoned, with only two left is Kuletnel Zastashmabdug was retired because no one could find water any more. 80% of the dwarves died of dehydration, even some lost to the forests of the region. In my opinion because they were looking for water. Another problem with this gang of dwarves was job distribution. They had a furnace but no woodburner, manager was at first a problem. Once the wood started burning the smelting began. Also next time the company will dig and reside in places that only have stones and metals. I won't have my dwarves living in SOIL!

Miasma finally became a problem. While a lovely shade of purple, I am not sure what caused the rot, get the rotting things out of the underground?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Mumuz d' Nökor Gusheds- Crypt of the Dead Fortresses
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 12:01:50 pm »

There might be water in the caverns, but if your dwarves are in the trees they were scared there and can't get down (you need to help them with that).

Miasma - make a refuse stockpile and light it. Exposing once to the sunlight is fine for this purpose. Alternatively, put the refuse stockpile behind a diagonal.

Sentient corpses can be stored similar way in corpse stockpile, though you really want to have not too many in one place to avoid armada of bad thoughts.

Valdus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Blog "Scrawls"
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 12:14:07 pm »

Ye gods why would they go into the trees like a bunch of monkeys? And what do you mean by lighting it? And expose to the sunlight, does that mean make it outside? And what do you mean by a diagonal?

Yeah newbie here, got an F in Geometry.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 01:11:09 pm »

I already said why. They're scared.

Yeah, sun shines outside.

Geometry... Well, what DF asks of you on this isn't that complicated.

+▒
▒R

▒= wall

Here, a dwarf has to walk diagonally from + (floor) to access the (R)efuse stockpile. This takes 42% longer to cross.

Miasma, mist, dust, smoke, all kinds of spreading vapours only propagate orthogonally in Dwarf Fortress - and in those directions - north and west here - lie walls blocking the spread.