Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgen options in launcher  (Read 1334 times)

Griskard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worldgen options in launcher
« on: October 25, 2016, 07:59:49 am »

I can't really tell if they have an effect on worldgen in game, it seems as if all my worlds still rely on the options I set in the worldgen menu. Is there a trick to it?

Other question, I want to make an above ground challenge fort, is there any way I can remove caverns, extend the above ground z level (for those sweet, sweet towers). Is there also a way to remove lower z levels, ie could I have a fort with only 5 z levels underground?

Sorry for the frequency of questions but search didn't turn up anything useful (well, except for the above ground z levels, but I'm not sure how that works with Masterworks launcher options)

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen options in launcher
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 10:21:50 am »

the "normal create world option" uses set numbers for the choices you see there.

pick the option to "create worlds with advanced parameters"... that gives the list with "small region" "small island" "medium region" etc.
there you can pick one and press "e" (i think) to edit the parameters. (similar to what is in the launcher under world gen. just all parameters are listed)

and if you want less underground levels you can just edit the numbers...
think the default masterwork launcher numbers are already small-ish with:
3 caverns
5 layers above 1st
1 layer above 2nd
1 above 3rd
1 above lava
2 above the bottom.
maybe set caverns to 1 or 0 if you dont want caverns. (never did that but i guess it works).
or set them to 0 caverns, 1,1,1,1,1 everything else... so theoretically its 5 z levels deep then, but maybe that will cause problems in some way, dont know.
then when you are done with editing save it with f6 or copy paste a new template with your edits or so.

and if you change stuff in the launcher under world gen, you can doubblecheck if it took the changes in that "create world with advanced parameters" game menu too.

well just experiment a bit with the parameters... changing one at a time or so... there are alot listed, but most you dont really need to touch... like drainage or savagery etc.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen options in launcher
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 10:51:34 am »

you can turn off all the caverns, underworld, and magma level.  then at the lowest map points you will still end up with ~50 levels below ground level.  I tried it before.  magma level is on if underworld is on.  underworld can be off without turning off magma level.  I think that the ground level has something to do with depth of oceans/water features as the lowest number of layers I had was a non ocean map with a lake/sea centrally located and I was just off the shore line, bet if I had checked the deepest water level was 50 below.

If you really don't want deep water formations, then you can set the lowest map height to 99 (0-100 = oceans/seas).  the highest map height needs to be 400 for dwarfs to make a start home on the map.  haven't tested it for nondwarf player races,  I was still playing vanilla DF when I was really testing out the map preferences.

for height above ground you can either add them in manually with DFHACK, I think its infinitesky or something like that.  or you can edit it in the preferences, there's an option for layers above ground, think 15 is the norm.  basically it just means the highest map level is the top ground level+15 wherever you embark at.  personally I would use infinitesky as you can add layers as needed and there was an auto option for it that would add a layer as you built upward (if I remember right if you built anything on the top layer it would add just 1 layer, but it might have more options now.)

The only thing I see that would be serious problem... you wouldn't have access to any underground plants, along with demons, most major boss type creatures...  but if you're just wanting to build (say a human race because they can't stand being underground for very long) then that shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT:  So I went and messed with the settings with 90 as my lowest surface level, 400 max, no sea border, 1 cavern layer(apparently even humans need 1 or it crashes saying they can't find any vegetation for farming!?! lol) and a magma level, no underworld... I have an embark site with only 17 Zs below ground.   Perfect for a human civ.  But should be capable for any race.

The dfhack script is infiniteSky.  start it with "load infiniteSky" (S must be capital).  Then enter "infiniteSky enable" to start watching for your constructions above that level.  the only bad thing I couldn't completely remove underground caverns... If you remove the magma level, you could probably get down into the 10-15 Zs but you wouldn't have access to magma furnaces/forges, without using magmawells(dwarves/succubus) or fluid casters(orc), or dfhack (liquids/feature).  But I'm not sure if you want magmashops.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 11:59:35 am by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal