Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The biggest library  (Read 9307 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: The biggest library
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 02:20:42 pm »

Whatnot would be Mechanics, which is interesting in that it is relatively easily trainable for having fun with apprentices and books written by a legend at their subject(other scholarly skills are ~useless).

(Haven't tested that yet, though.)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 04:25:08 pm »

I would love to make a library. But there is no option to create a bookshelf in any of the workshops. Has the feature been implemented into 43.03? I created a tavern no prob. Haven't tried a temple yet.
That's because it is bookcase.
It's more likely he's using an old world without the reactions than not noticing a trivially different word.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 05:49:25 pm »

A good point, even with them being somebody whose first post and report of first successful fortress was less than three weeks ago.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 06:36:14 pm »

Bonus points for your list brary if you have an Orang Utan in residence, a kindly (until she isn't) old lady ghost, a breakfast club, a Vampire Slayer hanging around with some Scoobies, shadowy air-pirhanas and a big "X" marking a spot where entry to the sewers might be found.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 06:43:01 pm »

I don't think toady has any plans to implement L-space.

Sadly.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 07:25:45 pm »

I've decided that an Emergency Vault is in order.

This means that 7 residents will be sealed into a completely self contained living space deep in the library. In the event of total fort failure, safeguards will be activated and the library + vault will be sealed off, thus ensuring the survival of the fort's most treasured possession!

GOLD. ALL THE GOLD WILL ALSO BE SHOVED IN THERE WHERE NOTHING CAN GET IT.

Also the books and things.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 07:39:29 pm »

A thought...

Visitors like to write books, right?

Here's an idea.

When scholars come to visit, if they can't get to the library, they hang out at a tavern, or other meeting place. They are attracted by the *existence* of the library, not pathable access. 

So, paint a tavern meeting area over a retracting bridge, built over a short shaft leading to the secret library.

They come to the fortress, can't find the library, so the aggregate at the tavern. Tavern revellers don't move around much, making this easy. When they are in place, pull the lever. They land in the library, which has no way out. They can never leave. Since they can never leave, they cannot steal books.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 08:05:29 pm »

Also, they will write books forever and also does the abject murder of visitors cause loyalty cascades? If so I might just have to release angry beak dogs in there eventually and deal with it that way. Gotta recover and store those books somehow.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 09:02:32 pm »

Bonus points for your list brary if you have an Orang Utan in residence, a kindly (until she isn't) old lady ghost, a breakfast club, a Vampire Slayer hanging around with some Scoobies, shadowy air-pirhanas and a big "X" marking a spot where entry to the sewers might be found.

orcs are related to elves, elves must be cleansed with magma, you dont want your books being melted now do you?
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Ironbreaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 12:03:47 am »

I would really like to see walking containers as a craftable option.

Ironbreaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 12:11:46 am »

I would love to make a library. But there is no option to create a bookshelf in any of the workshops. Has the feature been implemented into 43.03? I created a tavern no prob. Haven't tried a temple yet.
That's because it is bookcase.

That said, they - and containers - are used purely for storage in libraries. Discussing or reading needs nothing, and I think writing needs at most materials, table and chair.

Just double checked, nope, don't have any of those recipes. Anyone know how I can fix this issue? I hope I don't have to start again, 6 years in on my first successful fort.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2016, 05:07:22 am »

That means Bumber is right and you must have old raws. You can't get poets present from a time before time, but you can fix the raws and some things with dfhack (there's a thread in this forum somewhere about upgrading, but I didn't bookmark it and don't really know much about modding).

@wierd: Hm. It's an annoyance to run separated forts, but perhaps you could run a tiny public (stocked with writing materials) and larger private libraries, then dump written books from one to the other, with tiny public library set to want no written products inside it?

I wonder if visitors will take away sheets they're written on? That could be a way to reclaim ownership.
Also, they will write books forever and also does the abject murder of visitors cause loyalty cascades? If so I might just have to release angry beak dogs in there eventually and deal with it that way. Gotta recover and store those books somehow.
Yeah it did cause it previously in one succession fort - not sure if due dwarven visitors or friendships.
Pages: 1 [2]