Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unknown status indicator  (Read 2229 times)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unknown status indicator
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:56:54 am »

I have a pet necromancer. He turned up on the first tower siege and he's been an invaluable addition to the fortress.
Recently I chained him up next to a pit with fortifications between him and the pit so he can reanimate all the carp I dump in there. In order to put him on a combat stance I dug a pit on the other side, carved a fortification and dumped a dog in there. Now he will reanimate whenever, not just when there are folk in the Lazarus pit.

Fast forward 3 months. He's stopped showing the blue exclamation mark, he has a brown one now. What does this mean? Has the terror driven him mad? Can non-fortress-citizens be stressed? He can't be tired because necromancer don't tire...

For reference my texture pack is obsidian
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown status indicator
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 07:06:25 am »

Brown exclamation mark means that he is distracted.

It happens when someone doesn't get to fulfill many of their needs for a long time. I don't think it should have much of an effect on his ability to reanimate though.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 07:43:20 am »

Chaining is not a stellar option, I think. I tried using a necro and chained a gobbo (caught from a siege, not a visitor) as a bait. The gobbo eventually went into a tantrum and destroyed the chain so I had to put it down. I think it's safer to lock them in using locked doors and releasing them in the door with a cage hooked up to a lever.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 07:00:49 pm »

If goblins can tantrum... Does this mean goblins can go mad? Do they have stress levels the way dwarves do? And moreover the way fortress dwarfs do?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 02:39:27 am »

Probably. I didn't expect the bugger to care. I haven't seen any effects from being released from a cage into a locked room, though, so I suspect it's the humiliation factor of being "punished" that's in play. No facts, only pure guessing, though.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 03:24:03 pm »

Update: It does

After 2 or so years of being chained up the bastard finally lost it. He doesn't reanimate anymore, he just runs gibbering around on his chain.

I've necroed my own thread because this is a development of some importance i feel. Invaders can go mad as well! This one is a dwarf. I'm going to try with a human later. Be careful with your necromancers, they have feelings too.

Not sure what to do with this one. I could club him to death, but i've half a mind to let him loose outside the castle. He won't ever thirst to death and i'm curious what he'll do in the legends...

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 03:41:23 pm »

Very useful !SCIENCE! :)  I knew that Caravan personnel would become insane after a couple of months, but no invaders.  Also, if your Fortress is still running, can we have pics of your setup?  I mean, to intentionally create zombie carp rests on the very cusp of genius & madness.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 04:01:29 pm »

what if you have a necromancer killed and then have another necro reanimate the corpse of the first? can the undead one still reanimate? I know I read somewhere that ghost necros can still animate, and can animate their own corpse...
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 08:20:26 pm »

That's actually really awesome, I didn't know I could pyschologically kill invaders, too

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 09:44:28 pm »

The temptation to trap a goblin siege in a sealed room and let them go berserk and kill each other is rising...

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 02:09:42 pm »

Could you trap him next to a well crafted chair and dump well crafted un-claimed jewelry and clothes on him to help keep him sane?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 02:11:15 pm »

I have constructed a SCIENCE CENTER in my current fortress.

For instance did you know that it can take three years for a naked elf to freeze to death if the roof of his cell is made of ice? They don't freeze without that ice-roof.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 09:55:00 pm »

(insert joke about flaming queens and hot chicks here.)

on second thought, let's not.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 11:37:37 am »

Very useful !SCIENCE! :)  I knew that Caravan personnel would become insane after a couple of months, but no invaders.  Also, if your Fortress is still running, can we have pics of your setup?  I mean, to intentionally create zombie carp rests on the very cusp of genius & madness.

Sorry Immortal, its a rearranged carp, not an actual carp :P I also have struggled in vain to include images in my posts, maybe its different for linux. I dunno.
In any case its just a room two z high with one wall all carved into fortifications, with another smaller room on the other side, and a load of doors rigged up in from of the fortifications on the small room side. The doors are rigged to a lever so you can expose the line of sight. I didn't want to risk atom smashing the necromancer. The main room has a hatch at the top, so i can pit creatures into it, and also a minecart shotgun linked to an animal stockpile, because when you're pitting prisoners one always escapes, and its easier to get them out of their cages using the shotgun effect.