Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the most fun df?  (Read 1562 times)

pepsi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What is the most fun df?
« on: October 14, 2016, 12:35:05 pm »

I have played a few versions of DF and a little bit of MasterWork and I had my fun taken away by: no invaders, revived undead hair, bugged invaders and some weird stuff. So I need to aks you a question: What is the most fun version of DF in your opinion and did you use any mods? Thanks for any answers :)
more blood, FOR THE BLOOD GOD

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most fun df?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 01:20:37 pm »

Define "fun."

Fun, as in "OMG, this is so hard, I cant play it!" kind of fun?  Give an old version, like .40d a whirl. You will never feel the same about fishing ever again, and find getting wood and food to be a very difficult prospect. Also-- HORRIBLE NOBLES and broken economy. YAY!

Fun as in "Wow, there is so much that can be done! So many aspects to everything!", the latest version has such things with more to spare.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 01:45:53 pm »

43.X is my favorite version, for all the bug fixes and gradual improvements, especially the new work orders! I play As Vanilla As Posible, but I've found that I can keep things more interesting by cranking up the number of titans/semi-megabeasts, using DFHack populations command to prevent extinctions, and reducing the siege thresholds. Basically maximize or mod every available setting that may bring attackers to the fort. It's also possible to move all the necromancer towers in the world near to your planned embark location to prolong that wonderful, but limited, resource.

That said, 34.11 undeniably did a better job than any newer version of reliably getting sieges to players so attackers were regular and interesting. 34.11 also had goblin ambushes, which are much missed in current versions.

Even with the pathing fixes in 42.X, there's still solid room to complain that current versions of the game don't do as good a job of getting invaders. Since the whole "world activation" thing doesn't YET generate many interesting tangible events for a player fortress, that development is still a net loss for gameplay. (Until Toady adds more content, of course.)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 04:10:17 pm »

I like the current version best.

It's really only fun to run an armed camp so many times. In the current version I can easily keep myself occupied for an essentially unlimited amount of time trying to do things like make sure every dwarf is literate, fostering literature and the arts, and just generally building a 'living' fortress with well-designed public spaces, taverns, and temples that people actually want to go to: and not just when they aren't busy working or fighting off/cleaning up after the semi-annual futile zergrush either.

The dwarves themselves are much more interesting too. I still remember the very early days of version 42.xx when a human swordswoman came to visit my fort and spent the whole time telling stories about her exploits to anyone who would listen, and needling the tavernkeeper and the farmers about the uselessness of craftsdwarfship, perseverance, and loyalty. The farmers were happy to pass the time in a philosophical discussion, but the tavernkeeper hated it, and a drunken smith got so mad he started a fight over it. Even if they aren't doing stuff like that, they all have their own ethics, personality, quirks, and needs, and those interact in interesting and sometimes unexpected ways.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 12:37:18 am »

...  Give an old version, like .40d a whirl. You will never feel the same about fishing ever again...

Carp ... the horror  ::)

I like the current version best.

It's really only fun to run an armed camp so many times. In the current version I can easily keep myself occupied for an essentially unlimited amount of time trying to do things like make sure every dwarf is literate, fostering literature and the arts, and just generally building a 'living' fortress with well-designed public spaces, taverns, and temples that people actually want to go to: and not just when they aren't busy working or fighting off/cleaning up after the semi-annual futile zergrush either.

I have to agree. The last version I played before the current one actually was 40d ... and I was pleasantly surprised by all the new things that are there to flesh out your fortress ... especially libraries with their scholars who actually write works on topics of (classical) science ... and discuss with other scholars in order to enhance trheir knowledge of the world

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 01:49:37 pm »

If you're looking for classic dwarfy challenge, pick something like .40d

If you're looking for a variety of things to do and mess around with, pick the latest version

If you want something in between, pick 34.11

I've had fun playing all of them though, so trying to place one as "The most fun" is an impossible thing. Just go with what you want to

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 03:51:02 am »

What is the most fun version of DF in your opinion

A lot of the older versions of DF are fun in their own ways.

If you want a polished older version, 34.11 is pretty fun like others have said. It had all of the things that gave DF its old reputation, and was free of any damning bugs. The types of threats you encountered felt more varied than in the current version, especially with the constant stream of thieves and later ambushes. The rate of military exp gain was much lower, and the rate of tantruming higher. The game just feels so different when the constant threat of death makes fortress security priority number one. This is the version I always go back to.

I have to agree though that the most recent version is certainly the most engrossing overall, and the dynamic world adds an incredible amount of depth that is missing from older versions.

use any mods?

One change I always make these days is going in the raws and changing [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY] to higher values. It's pretty rare that you get stressed-out dorfs otherwise, so this adds a bit of a challenge.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 02:45:44 pm »

I like the current version aside from the near complete lack of tantrums and the lackluster sieges.

But the old (.23? ) versions are fun for the old 2-d perspective, and much faster/more fun liquid physics and sieges and what all.  It's a whole different game, and it's fun to go and figure out all the weirdness DF used to have.

zeves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 08:24:24 pm »

theres been alot of fun "bugs" features over the year, and i enjoy new and fun surprises, the most fun for me is when you really feel safe and comfortable have built yourself a nice home then suddenly something comes by and makes you rethink your safety. i also enjoy makeing science projects although rarely finish them.