Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: User Preferences Survey - October 2016 (external survey site)  (Read 782 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
User Preferences Survey - October 2016 (external survey site)
« on: October 13, 2016, 05:18:09 am »

15-question Survey

This survey focuses on the apps and utilities that you prefer to use.
It will show you the survey results after you complete the survey.

Survey results web page
CSV file
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:39:59 pm by jecowa »

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: User Preferences Survey - October 2016 (external survey site)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 01:21:41 am »

Is it true dwarf therapist won't work with 64bit.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: User Preferences Survey - October 2016 (external survey site)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 04:46:04 am »

Is it true dwarf therapist won't work with 64bit.
Yes, it is true. It needs to be reprogrammed to understand 64-bit numbers. And it might have some hard-coded 32-bit memory mappings that need to be updated to work with 64-bit Dwarf Fortress.

I don't think it would be worth the trouble, but you might be able to transfer your save files between 64-bit Dwarf Fortress and 32-but Dwarf Fortress. Use 64-but Dwarf Fortress most of the time and transfer your save files to 32-bit Dwarf Fortress when you need Dwarf Therapist. One user was planning to do that. It seems like a lot of effort, though. I'm guessing he'll get tired of that soon and begin to use 32-bit Dwarf Fortress exclusively.

I was thinking about using maybe either symbolic links (aliases) or a script to assist users wishing to do this.

Symbolic links would allow the same set of save files to be accessible by both versions of Dwarf Fortress. Both versions of Dwarf Fortress would contain an symbolic link that links to a shared saved folder in another directory. (Fricy used symbolic links for the save folder in his MacNewbie pack, by the way)

With other method using a script, the save files of the 32-bit and 64-bit versions could get swapped every time the script is double-clicked.