Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Certainly one way to introduce oneself.  (Read 3488 times)

mangame5

• Bay Watcher
  • "I am here, click me!"
    • View Profile
Re: Certainly one way to introduce oneself.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 08:17:01 am »

About doors, in vanilla every tile is 2x2x3 meters, though they may also be revolving doors in case of glass ones or something. And metal and wood ones look different too.

The rooms feel smaller in minecraft. Bed takes up more space...Which is appropriate with the dimensions you've chosen.

Yeah, the bed was awkward. Had to extend it by one block, or half a unit. (2x2 would have a dwarf's feet sticking out. While funny and maybe appropriate, the bed would've looked awkward)
Regular MC beds are half a block tall, 1 wide and 2 long. A dwarf would crush it if he decided to sleep in it, even if I'd set two next to each other.
To make all of this work, I have to set limits and stick with them. If something looks bad, I'll alter it in both games. Dwarf Fortress was a pain to figure out, due to how for example a sperm whale occupies a tile just as nicely as a cat.

That screenshot looks pretty sweet. Imagine all the pretty patterns one could make, but it would be a pain with furniture, using stockpiles and workshops awkwardly to get the right materials down.
"Quiet... I'M TRYING TO SNEAK UP ON THEM!"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 08:37:09 am »

After you give a job to make furniture, go into 'd'etails - you can specify stone (and image, in some cases, though I've had crashes related to that, particularly related to specifying historical figures and when using dfhack's ctrl+d duplicate job function beforehand to create the job). Dfhack's workshop-job - Alt-A, iirc - can also specify what is used in the job, to a greater but more confusing degree.

I think screw pumps take colour from the block used to build them. Other buildings, like trade depot, take from what was produced first (useful consideration when making, say, water wheels partially out of colourful cavern trees).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:39:02 am by Fleeting Frames »

mangame5

• Bay Watcher
  • "I am here, click me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 08:48:06 am »

After you give a job to make furniture, go into 'd'etails - you can specify stone (and image, in some cases, though I've had crashes related to that, particularly related to specifying historical figures and when using dfhack's ctrl+d duplicate job function beforehand to create the job). Dfhack's workshop-job - Alt-A, iirc - can also specify what is used in the job, to a greater but more confusing degree.

I think screw pumps take colour from the block used to build them. Other buildings, like trade depot, take from what was produced first (useful consideration when making, say, water wheels partially out of colourful cavern trees).

Should plonk this in the facepalm thread. Thank you for the tip!

mangame5

• Bay Watcher
  • "I am here, click me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 09:05:57 am »

[Update on fort in DF]
I have expanded upon the bedrooms, counting to 96.
Have started a military: Squad of ten brave dwarves with a proper barracks.
Have started healthcare: Proper hospital with all the equipment they would ever need.
Have built rooms for nobles: Have started building rooms for some nobles, these being the mayor (bleh), the broker ('s okay) and the hammerer. (Gave him proper room to keep him happy.)
Expanded booze production: Added two stills.
Expanded some stockpiles: Wood, stone and metal.

Here comes the sad news, though. The fortress is falling. A vile force of darkness has come. It's not the simple 3-man invasion from last time. I'm counting 90 invaders, trolls and beak dogs included.
We will not survive. After nearly three years, Metalcrafted will fall.
Obviously this doesn't mean I'm stopping the project. In fact, it has grown due to the updates from further up. Saved images and will back it up from this point just to make sure I have the reference.
I'll be pressing resume now and will watch the carnage unfold.

[EDIT]

Right, the invaders can't get over the river and seem to be buggering off.
Now this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Guess what happened:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The goblins saw this "epic battle" and got over their fears, hopping on over to my side of the river to get a closer look.
Bummer.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:39:10 am by mangame5 »

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 04:15:24 pm »

No fortress lockdown method? Send the militia to the doors and pray they give up after a couple go down. If your militia is armed at ALL, they oughta send the goblins packing at about 20 kills. That's 2-1 kill rate, that's not hard with a properly equipped militia. Also, you may want to look into designing a set of rooms on the sides of your inlet tunnel, behind a set of doors/drawbridge, which you can station the militia in and prevent them from getting out into the field. This allows room for combat, which suits your dwarves as the more of them in the fight, the less fatigue the front ones get, as they have backup that can take over if they fall out of the fight. Also, this helps recovering wounded dwarves, because if you lock it, and have civilians run in, you're going to have more living dwarves at the end.
Also forbidden doors stop goblins, if not trolls. Try something ... desperate.

mangame5

• Bay Watcher
  • "I am here, click me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 05:42:13 am »

No fortress lockdown method? Send the militia to the doors and pray they give up after a couple go down. If your militia is armed at ALL, they oughta send the goblins packing at about 20 kills. That's 2-1 kill rate, that's not hard with a properly equipped militia. Also, you may want to look into designing a set of rooms on the sides of your inlet tunnel, behind a set of doors/drawbridge, which you can station the militia in and prevent them from getting out into the field. This allows room for combat, which suits your dwarves as the more of them in the fight, the less fatigue the front ones get, as they have backup that can take over if they fall out of the fight. Also, this helps recovering wounded dwarves, because if you lock it, and have civilians run in, you're going to have more living dwarves at the end.
Also forbidden doors stop goblins, if not trolls. Try something ... desperate.

The militia was sent and together with the traps we've got some of the goblins, but they kept going. I only had copper, gold and silver, so the militia had copper armor (Would've preferred bronze) and weapons based on what they preferred, the most powerful obviously being the silver warhammers. I've also set a burrow for all the civilians at the weapons stockpile, hoping that in the chaos they'll pick some up and fight back. This also got some of the goblins/trolls/beakdogs, but the fortress fell anyway.
Puting a wall in or forbidding doors was an option, but it seemed cheap. I didn't think of the drawbridge method, which I certainly regret now. On the next fortress, though, I'll work on some form of a drowning chamber between the trading depot and the actual entrance to the fortress, which will continue to a drawbridge over a long dropoff. Will certainly kill/deter any siege.

News on the project itself: The game was backed up before the fortress fell, so I could just get it back to do proper measurements. Even without that, I logged everything in screenshots and even marked the names for each burial site, so once the cemetery is done in MC, you can see the names of the dwarves who had a proper burial.
Soon University starts again and I'll have to pack my computer up and replace it with my mother's here, then head on over to the student home and install it over there. This coupled with some other factors are leading to a slight delay to the fortress, but don't worry.

mangame5

• Bay Watcher
  • "I am here, click me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 08:19:14 am »

Little update on the project.
Sadly, the in-game fortress isn't the only thing that has fallen. My motherboard went bust and had to be replaced, which added a hefty delay on this. Even worse, this is not the extent of the damage.
After rebuilding the PC (and doing a fresh format), I installed MC and DF. I've given up after a few hours to try and use the backup. The files are pretty much broken, corrupt. I blame the USB stick I've used.

This would be the end for the Fortress of Metalcrafted. Fallen in DF to the goblins, fallen in MC to a faulty USB stick.
I apologize to anyone who was following this. I'll be around the forums, though. Stay safe.
Pages: 1 [2]