Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About strand extractors...  (Read 949 times)

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About strand extractors...
« on: October 06, 2016, 02:12:41 pm »

A dwarf can only gain strand extractor skill from, emh... procesing sugar canes to make sugar, which later another dwarf will use to make candy, right?

If a dwarf with Great strand extractor arrives at my fort, is it because my civ has been making candy, or because he's a so called "void dwarf"? (first year, first autumn)
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: About strand extractors...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 02:16:09 pm »

Void Dwarf.  Skills are randomly generated on arrival to try to fill in either skills you're using a lot of or skills that aren't available in your fort yet.  You won't see candy coming from the caravan.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 02:25:11 pm »

awww.

Sorry Urist mcstrandextractor, you're a thresher now.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 06:14:33 pm »

awww.

Sorry Urist mcstrandextractor, you're a thresher now.
You know, the workings of a thresher probably aren't too different to that of a strand extractor.

Also, how old is the world your fort is in? I think you can get Strand Extractor dwarves that aren't void, but world gen has given them skill in their labor from nowhere.

True void dwarves can sometimes have labors that cannot be gotten in conventional means, like Military Tactics. So that's a sure sign.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 01:42:08 am »

Yeah, I once had a civilization that had only settled in freezing biomes so far bring me a grand master wax worker.