Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: VR(virtual-) and AR(augmented reality)  (Read 748 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
VR(virtual-) and AR(augmented reality)
« on: September 18, 2016, 01:30:00 pm »

My dad and I were talking about this. He was saying the current VR headsets are big and bulky like old cell phones used to be but they're going to get streamlined just as technology always does that will just be a pair of glasses and then you'll just be able to switch between VR or AR or somewhere in between.

I think one of the traffic challenges we have is the inability to communicate. And I know sometimes you don't want people talking to you and things like that but if you can I don't know make a pop sound with your mouth to confirm someone's request to talk to you or something like that if you have requests enabled then you can talk to each other. If you don't want to use your or hear other people's voices you can have it hawking-afied(or chipmunk-ed, also a good choice).

I remember as a pedestrian this morning the car was trying to get me to walk across the street but I was trying to convey that I would be too slow because they didn't see that my leg was injured and I was carrying stuff.

Moments like these it would be nice to be able to communicate because they could not hear me through their car or the distance between us. Easily anyway.

Edit: just realized this has almost nothing to do with AR or VR at least doesn't have to but those could probably assist it so- like seeing some kind of icon or glow with a person to let you know they have it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:01:56 am by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: VR(virtual-) and AR(augmented reality)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 02:47:11 pm »

I think it's relevant to AR.  It isn't necessary to have AR for these sorts of communication but without AR as a medium in which you can do it the framework isn't there.  It's like facebook.  You dont do facebook because you say "hey, I would love to have a place where I can see the insane political views of my relatives".  But it turns out that once you have a place to share unimportant text posts and pictures you can use that place to share your insane political views and people like doing that too.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 05:55:54 pm »

the current VR headsets are big and bulky like old cell phones used to be but they're going to get streamlined just as technology always does that will just be a pair of glasses

Or something like Google's Glass. Retina-projection technology is quickly becoming viable and will likely replace face-mounted-screens soon.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 09:00:45 am »

insane political views

Haha

I remember seeing some led back car messages. Problem is ornimental lights are not allowed in many areas and you could get a ticket.

Spoiler: ex (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:12:44 am by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 09:01:00 pm »

I would prefer to not worry about people putting screamer webms in their bumpers until after automated driving is ubiquitous.

I think it's relevant to AR.  It isn't necessary to have AR for these sorts of communication but without AR as a medium in which you can do it the framework isn't there.  It's like facebook.  You dont do facebook because you say "hey, I would love to have a place where I can see the insane political views of my relatives".  But it turns out that once you have a place to share unimportant text posts and pictures you can use that place to share your insane political views and people like doing that too.
I never appreciated bookface as much as I have since I realized you can just walk away from bookface and stop going there. I appreciate everything else more without it there, so thanks bookface, thookface.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 09:22:16 pm »

Plus you get to spend the next couple years being the guy at parties who says "Oh I dont have a facebook account".  It's like being the one who doesn't watch TV but waaaaaay easier.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 09:27:38 pm »

I have one, it's the only way I could reach some family members because I don't use the phone either, if I can't talk like a gruff trucker with gravel in his voice box I'm not talking on a phone, but it's nice not going there, especially during election season.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 03:34:43 pm »

oh noes itz

BOOKFACE

share?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 03:43:05 pm »

I'll get back to you later.