Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thrive: Like Spore, but better!  (Read 3278 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Thrive: Like Spore, but better!
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 09:06:08 pm »

Looks like the download page is fixed , http://revolutionarygamesstudio.com/releases/
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 10:05:08 pm »

Seeing as spore was a steaming pile of shite it doesn't have to be much better to beat it.
Nah, Spore was OK. Just that though. What made it look like utter poop was the massive hype around it.

I still have fun with SPORE. It seems like its fine aged wine kinda thing though. At release and some years after, I just never played it. But at least it WAS and IS vastly more fun than no man's sky ever could be (even before galactic adventures). But with GA and some mods added (like ForgottenSpore (which works better than...) or Titan Spore 2016 (though for me its kinda broken). And the mod from davoonline that adds many dozens of types of spices. SPORE is actually pretty fun surprisingly. I have the most fun creating stuff, but the galactic adventures stuff is pretty epic. People make some pretty epic adventures in SPORE.

I think Thrive could potentially be a lot better though, like how SPORE was supposed to be. But, at the rate of development and only one stage that isn't even close to being finished...it has a long way to go. Its one of those games you go "that sounds awesome" and then years later you check up on it again to see if any progress. Actually, pretty much like the SWG Emu lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 03:16:25 am »

Seeing as spore was a steaming pile of shite it doesn't have to be much better to beat it.
Nah, Spore was OK. Just that though. What made it look like utter poop was the massive hype around it.

I can give you that. I fell for the hype and as a big fan of AI type games i was so looking forward to Spore, i even pre-ordered the game a year in advance of release but was left bitterly disappointed.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 06:37:41 am »

I was disappointed too, though I still played a few species up to the space stage before getting really annoyed at the space stage gameplay. No Man's Sky was so awful it actually motivated me to get my boxed copy of Spore registered on Origin (which involved talking to customer support), and to reinstall and play it again a little.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 04:30:53 pm »

I was disappointed too, though I still played a few species up to the space stage before getting really annoyed at the space stage gameplay. No Man's Sky was so awful it actually motivated me to get my boxed copy of Spore registered on Origin (which involved talking to customer support), and to reinstall and play it again a little.

It got me to play spore aswell.
I am an indie game dev!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 04:32:15 pm »

I've seen jokes that NMS is the only game yet to make another game better in retrospect. But, apparently the thread for that got nuked for this kind of discussion, so let's maybe cut that out now.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 05:16:27 pm »

I've seen jokes that NMS is the only game yet to make another game better in retrospect. But, apparently the thread for that got nuked for this kind of discussion, so let's maybe cut that out now.

Cut what out?
I am an indie game dev!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 05:37:44 pm »

Huh?

#1, I wasn't joking.
#2, I don't remember that happening
#3, I'll be very disappointed if anyone feels the need to have a safe space to not hear bad things about a game which is near-universally considered terrible and which is being investigated for false advertising.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:42:36 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 06:05:37 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 06:13:12 pm »

I'll check the site (and this thread). Thanks for telling us about it!

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 03:30:54 pm »

This looks like it could be a lot better than Spore... if they finish it someday. I've been wishing that someone would make a game like Spore, but better.  I hope they'll pull it off.

I don't totally hate Spore, but I don't have a highly favorable opinion of it either. I think I need to give it another try sometime, but the rhythm mini-games were a bit annoying and out of place. If I wanted to play a rhythm game, then I'd go play one dedicated to that. The game also seems to crash a lot. Many people may disagree, but I still very much prefer No Man's Sky to Spore. IMO, it's my game of the year, but I don't see it actually winning that award anywhere. The funny thing is that I was never "hyped" for Spore, but I was for NMS.  I don't totally agree with all the outrage toward NMS, but I can honestly understand why people are disappointed  too. I like the game for what it is, and I hope they'll make some content updates, but they did promise things that aren't there, for whatever reason. 

I guess I just started playing NMS with the expectation that some things would be cut. I doubt the devs are malicious supervillains, but it would be a good idea for them to change the official screenshots and videos on Steam.  Sadly, it's a common thing for features to be cut/excluded from games, but it seems to happen more for some games than others. Using tricks to make a product look 10x better is  a very annoying type of thing that's common in advertising (anything) overall.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:33:58 pm by GrayFox »
Pages: 1 [2]