Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick Fort Ideas?  (Read 1969 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Quick Fort Ideas?
« on: September 27, 2016, 11:24:22 am »

So basically, I've got an impressive computer and can run modestly sized forts well over 250 FPS.  I've also got free time, as I'm recovering from an injury and can't work right now.

So I'm planning to run some 2x2 or even 1x1 forts with preferably low population so I can run them at super speed.  Anyone have any particular goals or interesting things to try and achieve?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Fort Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:48:08 am »

Grow 1 of each possible tree that can grow in your biome. Since each tree uses up around 25 squares, twenty fruit trees(something like that) alone will eat up ~1/4 of 1x1 embark. Have to wait and guard them, though!

Have all your citizens descend from two pairs of elves/goblins/humans. No dwarves past first 2 migration waves.

Sit in your fort, breeding, so long that the surrounding world all dies - then go out centuries; possibly build fortresses by other races (via modding). Picking right immortal citizens above will help to ensure they don't leave or die out while you're doing another long fort.

Tame all the animals to masterful that show up in the fort.

Embark on top of hundreds or thousands of megabeasts; seal them off and get them breeding till FPS runs low. Then abandon the fort, releasing them to wreak havoc (I guess?).

Might be more interesting in an alive world with just few, maybe just a pair of each breedable megabeast. This way, can name them with dfhack so you recognize them later on.

Release the HFS and give everyone there a name.

Ghost fortress. Amass a necropolis.

If doing 1x1, definitely build a tower - and conquer hfs, for more room. I think dfhack has a script to add more z-levels to sky - something like extend-sky?

Build and test Larix's eternity clock (Might need adjustment to fit into 1x1)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:52:52 am »

So basically, I've got an impressive computer and can run modestly sized forts well over 250 FPS.  I've also got free time, as I'm recovering from an injury and can't work right now.

So I'm planning to run some 2x2 or even 1x1 forts with preferably low population so I can run them at super speed.  Anyone have any particular goals or interesting things to try and achieve?

I ran a micro-fort (try to cram as much in as small a space as possible) and am doing another one now. http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12321-smallabbey

I bring it up more just because if you have a fast computer a 1x1 embark can still support a pretty sizeable population. I'm running 100 units @60 FPS in my current 1x1.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:34:21 pm »

Girlinhat is back! Yay! Oh wait, Girlinhat is injured, boo. You were like, the Queen of Dwarf Fortress Science when I first started playing. Sorry about the injury, that sucks, I just had a compressed disc in my spine that was about the most painful thing I've ever imagined. Injuries suck. Anyway, maybe play around with taverns, libraries, and temples? Make a themed temple to each god in your civ. Write ALL the books. Build a really impressive tavern above ground with multiple floors and lots of big rooms for rent, be sure to make the ceilings high for the humans.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 01:12:51 pm »

I've been riding a scooter for the insane cost benefits, but some mindless woman in a modern impalla took a left turn across traffic and hit me.  Totaled my scooter, broke my left collarbone, fractured a few of my vertebrae, but not nerve damage, just the little 'wing' bits on each vertebrae, so I'm in an arm sling and a neck brace for a while, and out of work.

I've debated seeing what I could do with breeding and idea-forming.  If I get someone who's into hard work and into writing, can I get books written about the values of working hard?  Can I use those books to encourage others to work hard?  Furthermore, can I deal with dwarves who are 'very broad' and breed them together to try and get consistently broad dwarves?  I'm curious how deeply modeled genetics are, and if I could make a weird monastery of dedicated ideas and body types...

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 01:29:08 pm »

I've been riding a scooter for the insane cost benefits, but some mindless woman in a modern impalla took a left turn across traffic and hit me.  Totaled my scooter, broke my left collarbone, fractured a few of my vertebrae, but not nerve damage, just the little 'wing' bits on each vertebrae, so I'm in an arm sling and a neck brace for a while, and out of work.
Yikes. Car vs. motorcycle, scooter or bicycle always turns out ugly for the latter. A good friend of mine was laid out for months after a car clipped him while bicycling. Sympathies!
I've debated seeing what I could do with breeding and idea-forming.  If I get someone who's into hard work and into writing, can I get books written about the values of working hard?  Can I use those books to encourage others to work hard?  Furthermore, can I deal with dwarves who are 'very broad' and breed them together to try and get consistently broad dwarves?  I'm curious how deeply modeled genetics are, and if I could make a weird monastery of dedicated ideas and body types...

Well I am just getting back into DF myself but what I have read on the forums leads me to believe that what you speak of is possible, if kind of unlikely. The breeding thing works, I think, and the writing thing would work, if you got that sort of dwarf, and he happened to write that sort of book.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:38:07 pm by GhostDwemer »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 01:35:56 pm »

Luckily in what I'm planning, I'll have plenty of dwarf-time at my disposal, so I can toss migrants into lava or toss them into cheap armor and let goblins kill them.  So I can mill through migrants until I get some with the proper mindset to write the books I want, and then just keep writing books until I get the library I want.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 05:15:55 pm »

Maximum-speed adamantine military. Train them, equip them, do your darn best to bring hundreds of goblins in, kill them off for experience, replace dead guys, turn the caverns into a creature-farm, and then breach HFS and pray they're lame.

Oh, and premature breaching may require a massive cavein, sacrificing the fortress to save the denizens of the surface world from the denizens of the underworld. Or just cave in a small hallway, praying they don't run that fast, or that your miner was much, much slower than your lever-puller.