Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My fisherman is as dumb as a rock.  (Read 634 times)

Sestze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My fisherman is as dumb as a rock.
« on: September 15, 2006, 05:43:00 am »

I've been doing fine so far, nearly got a farm plot up, and the fisherman, who was my secondary for food after the initial supplies ran out, has been doing nothing but fishing for turtles for the entire time.

I gave him a fishery, strike that, two fisheries. He builds them, grins like a half-witted moron, and goes back to looking for turtles.

I set both fisheries to "process fish (repeat)" and he looks at me blankly, and goes back to masturbating in his room with his door locked.

If my dwarves survive the sudden onset of hunger, I'm going to lock him inside of the farming plot when I flood it.

That being said, how can I get dwarves to stop fishing just stop goddamnit stop?

fmunoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wesnoth.org
Re: My fisherman is as dumb as a rock.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 05:46:00 am »

He gets the Fish Cleaning skill activated?
If you really want him to stop fishing you can disable his fishing skill for a while.
Pres (v), select the dwarf, then press (p) and then (l) there mover with +- to the skill and select or deselect them with Enter

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 05:02:00 pm »

Pretty much fisherdwarves never do any job but fishing if they have that job as a possibility and they can access water with fish.  So he may decide to clean fish during the winter, but otherwise expect him to ignore the job.

The least bother is to set a different dwarf to clean fish, but if you need to do it with one, just turn fishing off for a while, set the clean fish job to repeat and wait until you get the message about job failed because of no raw fish to switch him back to fishing.

Make sure you have plenty of barrels so the fish doesn't rot.  Luckily both raw and prepared fish will use the same barrel so you won't need a whole new set.

Jim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 01:04:00 am »

fishing is a little buggy like hunting.  what you have to do is you need to deactivate the fishing job in his profile.  then you need to go to the military screen, draft him, and then un-draft him.  then the dwarf won't go back to fishing and he will do what you want him to.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 01:22:00 am »

I like to set peasants with Brewing, Fish Cleaning, Farmer (Workshop), Butchery, Milling and Tanning. Then I rename their profession to Food Processor.