Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Entire Bin of gems is claimed by one job  (Read 1440 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Entire Bin of gems is claimed by one job
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 05:50:18 am »

With workshop orders I almost never need more than the 16 spaces around a workshop for stockpile space, even without bins.  I think practically the only thing I use bins for is stone blocks.  Agree that encrusting is a PITA.  One thing that I haven't tried, but should work is to isolate the gem workshop, then designate 8 of the surrounding spaces to be a cut gem stockpile.  The other 8 to be whatever it is you want to encrust stockpile.  Set up those 2 stockpiles to only take from a general input stockpile.  Then give the output of the gem workshop to a general output stockpile (which is *not* the input stockpile).

That way you will slowly encrust everything in the general input stockpile.  I think dwarfs will encrust the same thing twice if it is still in the workshop, so you might occasionally encrust some things twice if you don't assign enough haulers, but it should theoretically work OK.  If you set up orders to encrust things with an amount of 1, then you will only encrust 1 a day and you should have enough time to take it away.  If you want to mutliply encrust stuff, you just have to work out how to move it back to the input stockpile (might be incredibly tricky...)

But... I just noticed that there are a million encrust jobs... one for each gem type. :-P   So you will have to set up jobs for each type of gem you have (which is probably not so onerous... I usually don't have more than 8 or so at a time).

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 06:07:44 am »

I usually use manager.
Sometimes I just do not use bins, instead I have big stockpiles.
Sometimes I use minecart QSP.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 09:20:46 am »

To get around the "item in workshop is valid target for encrusting thing", don't put all the encrust jobs on repeat. Encrust with only 1 gem at time, till it cancels the job. (Though personally, I find the "important thing encrusted and decorated with all the gems and metals" kind of cool.)

To make the encrust job encrust only items from a given stockpile without having a cut gems stockpile, then use burrows. I think I mentioned that one already?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 06:23:31 pm »

Why do you need burrows, though?  If you create a stockpile literally around the workshop and link it to your input stockpile, it should work fine (as long as your output stockpile is different than your input stockpile).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 01:37:09 am »

Because that takes more time, gives you access to less resources for encrusting, if you enable bins (enabled by default, so...) you'll get further cancel spam and it needs two more jobs for each encrusting job (hauler has to come from somewhere - probably tavern - to take a gem/encrustable item(probably needs 1 more job to keep encrusting, since input and output stockpiles must be different), move it 2-9 squares, then go back, which adds time delay on material availability - your jeweler can probably faster than that, so this gives their skill a glass ceiling) to save on average half a tile walking distance.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:40:13 am by Fleeting Frames »

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 05:42:21 am »

Thanks guys! Mikekchars idea of a dedicated stockpile for one jeweller proved most useful.

As an interesting aside, the issue feature of jewellers encrusting a single item over and over is a real one.

I currently have a large carnelian gem thats encrusted with 5 levels of other gems, 2 of which show images of other gems on that gem...

Think Xzibit might have been here.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 05:59:16 am »

I love that feature, myself.

Bacos666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 06:26:22 am »

As an interesting aside, the issue feature of jewellers encrusting a single item over and over is a real one.

That all stems from how jobs work:
The encrust job takes the closest valid encrust-able item. Hauling puts the newly encrusted item into the closest open, valid stockpile location... It's a vicious cycle.

Best way to solve that, if desired, is to link the output to a stockpile much further away than the input stockpile... Or, you set up a system like so:

XXYYJGG

Where X is an output stockpile tile, Y is an input stockpile tile,  J is the jewelers workshop, and G is a gem input stockpile tile.

Once an item is encrusted, it will go to an X square. Since Y squares are closer, you get a new item to encrust. Once everything from Y is encrusted (you get a job cancel), you can set X to give to Y, or make new stuff to go to Y.  Just make sure to have enough haulers to immediately task the encrusted item or else the closest item for the job will be the one still in the workshop.

You'll need to play around with sizing of the stockpiles versus number of haulers to avoid cancellation. Also, the larger your stockpiles, the more separation needed so that the middle edge of the output isn't closer than the bottom/top edges of the input.

I personally use this method to ensure each item I want eventually gets ALL of the encrusts it can.
Pages: 1 [2]